Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Comparing Stored Procedures, Part 1

Comparing Stored Procedures, Part 1

Author
Jesse McLain
Old Hand
Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Comparing Stored Procedures, Part 1

Jesse McLain
jesse@jessemclain.com
www.jessemclain.com
www.jessesql.blogspot.com
mstjean
mstjean
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)SSC-Addicted (485 reputation)

You may want to check out Ultra Edit. Save 2 usp's to text files and do File/Compare Files. It shows the files side by side with the extra/missing rows highlighted.

It also does column mode editing which comes in handy.

Cursors are useful if you don't know SQL
Jesse McLain
Jesse McLain
Old Hand
Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)Old Hand (313 reputation)

UltraEdit is a great product, I used to use it extensively in the past. I don't think it had the 'compare files' feature back then.

This effort to compare stored procedures has gone through several iterations, the most recent of which uses a recursive CTE: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/TSQL/66074/. You can also check out the blog entry here: http://jessesql.blogspot.com/2009/02/comparing-stored-procedures-part-6.html, which explains a lot of my thought process, and demonstrates some performance charting.

Using the most recent version above, you can run this query below on the results to achieve a visual comparison:

SELECT
Seq1_Line = ISNULL(LTRIM(STR(S1.CodeLineNum)), '')
,ISNULL(S1.CodeLineTxt, '')
,ISNULL(S2.CodeLineTxt, '')
,Seq2_Line = ISNULL(LTRIM(STR(S2.CodeLineNum)), '')
,OrderBy = ISNULL(S1.CodeLineNum, S2.CodeLineNum)
FROM Seq1 S1
FULL OUTER JOIN Seq2 S2
ON S1.CodeLineNum = S2.MatchLineNum
ORDER BY OrderBy

Jesse McLain
jesse@jessemclain.com
www.jessemclain.com
www.jessesql.blogspot.com
P Jones
P Jones
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)

I just script my stored procs off the two servers to text file and use WinDiff to compare side by side. No cost. No hassle.
tim-707944
tim-707944
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

This solution works great as long as the database servers are both accessible. In our shop, our Dev, Test, and Production systems are walled off from each other, so there is no reliable way to do that sort of querying.

In our case, I typically just script them out and use BeyondCompare to find differances.
Pratap Prabhu
Pratap Prabhu
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)

I myself prefer using Visual Source Safe. I use this for my StoredProcs on my dev box. For mismatches between the DevBox and the Staging servers I use a stored proc I developed a few years ago ( sp_utl_FindMisMatchedObjects published here on SQLServerCentral http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/Development/63270/ ) The stored proc can also be used against a Production server, but in my setup the production servers are not directly accessible from the Staging and Dev servers.
Larissa-136281
Larissa-136281
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

I have script that will compares 2 objects. It produce result similar to windiff. You don't need to export object
posted in scripts http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/Maintenance/64277/
jswong05
jswong05
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)

Thanks for the effort. Since SPs are just ASCII text, aw00tny diff program will do. diff.exe comes from windows free resource kit download. Any programmers should be able to diff.

Jason
http://dbace.us
:-P
Pratap Prabhu
Pratap Prabhu
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)

Hi

Back in 2008 I posted a similar script 'Find Mismatched Views and Stored Procs' (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/Development/63270/), given 2 databases it lists out the mismatched Views and stored Procs. The Extreme right columns are the stored procs/views scripts. Check it out, maybe it could be some help. (Note:If the databases are on different physical servers just create a linked database)
Iwas Bornready
Iwas Bornready
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)

Thanks for the script.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.