Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Calculate Distance in Miles from Latitude and Longitude

Calculate Distance in Miles from Latitude and Longitude

Author
RBarryYoung
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Calculate Distance in Miles from Latitude and Longitude

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Henk Schreij
Henk Schreij
Old Hand
Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)

Please could you supply us a "km version" of this nice script.
In Europe, Australia, Asia, etc. we don't use miles or feet. Wink

Tim Pain
Tim Pain
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)

Really neat and just what I was looking for.

Many thanks
Tim

Tim
jcrawf02
jcrawf02
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

RBarryYoung, am I missing something here? the function name is LatLonDistance(), but the tests use calculateDistance()?

Is there a missing piece to this, or is it just a naming convention typo?

Thanks,

Jon

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
kevin-657318
kevin-657318
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Because the earth is not strictly spherical (it "flattens" a bit due to its rotation), there's a mathematical adjustment that can be made which makes the result even more accurate, given any two locations worldwide.

(I researched this about a year ago for a web application involving searching for points of interest within a specified radius of a reference point. I found various algorithms and chose one, which I translated to VBScript. It's nice to see the SQL implementation.)
jcrawf02
jcrawf02
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

kevin (2/17/2009)
Because the earth is not strictly spherical (it "flattens" a bit due to its rotation), there's a mathematical adjustment that can be made which makes the result even more accurate, given any two locations worldwide.

(I researched this about a year ago for a web application involving searching for points of interest within a specified radius of a reference point. I found various algorithms and chose one, which I translated to VBScript. It's nice to see the SQL implementation.)

And that adjustment is?

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
fredsimpson
fredsimpson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

As you are using Lat/Long and I do not see any conversion, I am assuming that the distance is measured in Nautical Miles not Statute Miles is it not?
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)

Henk Schreij (2/17/2009)
Please could you supply us a "km version" of this nice script.
In Europe, Australia, Asia, etc. we don't use miles or feet. Wink

Just do Result time 1.6. Easy enough to include in the function BigGrin.
Henk Schreij
Henk Schreij
Old Hand
Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)Old Hand (322 reputation)

Quote: "Just do Result time 1.6. Easy enough to include in the function."

I was hoping for new constants in the formula Wink
But I realize the formula doesn't need a 6 or more numbers precision.

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)

I'm sure it's possible... but to avoid redoing 1 year of maths or waiting for someone to redo the calculations for that constant, I'll just take the small perf hit and do result * 1.6 w00t.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.