Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Security

Security

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Security

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
free_mascot
free_mascot
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I guess; "A user to act like another user"

looks correct answer as per the following MS article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188304.aspx

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
ChiragNS
ChiragNS
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

According to BOL the answer seems to be the first option.

"Keep Trying"
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)

Hi Steve,

Impersonation is a generic term for using the security settings of a user that you are not authenticated as. This term is used *both* for

(a) database users impersonating other database users (using the EXECUTE AS command, or executing stored procedures with the EXECUTE AS clause), which requires the aptly named IMPERSONATE permission - see also the link free_mascot posted; and

(b) the SQL Server service connecting to another instance under the context of an authenticated Windows user.

So both the first and the third answer are correct.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Ralf Dietrich
Ralf Dietrich
Old Hand
Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)

Hi Steve,

next time I suggest to have check boxes instead of radio boxes.
You show us two correct answers!

Ralf

I feel sorry with all of us - whom was using the first correct answer
dgabele
dgabele
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Could someone explain why the first answer would be incorrect?

I felt it was a correct answer based on SQL 2005 BOL:

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/6d156257-8c80-4062-a6a0-acc6797b293f.htm

SQL Server 2005 supports the ability to impersonate another principal either explicitly by using the stand-alone EXECUTE AS statement, or implicitly by using the EXECUTE AS clause on modules. The stand-alone EXECUTE AS statement can be used to impersonate server-level principals, or logins, by using the EXECUTE AS LOGIN statement. The stand-alone EXECUTE AS statement can also be used to impersonate database level principals, or users, by using the EXECUTE AS USER statement.

Implicit impersonations that are performed through the EXECUTE AS clause on modules impersonate the specified user or login at the database or server level. This impersonation depends on whether the module is a database-level module, such as a stored procedure or function, or a server-level module, such as a server-level trigger.

Thanks!

John Laskey
John Laskey
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (657 reputation)SSChasing Mays (657 reputation)SSChasing Mays (657 reputation)SSChasing Mays (657 reputation)SSChasing Mays (657 reputation)SSChasing Mays (657 reputation)SSChasing Mays (657 reputation)SSChasing Mays (657 reputation)

I believe there is more than one correct answer to this question... I think this depend on your perception of Impersonation.
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

I think answer should be option 1 and 3.

-- Impersonating allows a member of the sysadmin fixed server role or db_owner fixed database role to impersonate another user

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlclr/archive/2006/06/16/635003.aspx

SQL DBA.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I'll correct the answers to show both as correct.

As usual, I started with a topic in BOL, in this case impersonation, which didn't mention the EXECUTE AS clause. Though I should have checked that section to see if it applied as the same term.

Points will be awarded back.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
SQLBOT
SQLBOT
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (730 reputation)Right there with Babe (730 reputation)Right there with Babe (730 reputation)Right there with Babe (730 reputation)Right there with Babe (730 reputation)Right there with Babe (730 reputation)Right there with Babe (730 reputation)Right there with Babe (730 reputation)

A SQL Server Central points Bailout!

Blink

What is this world coming to?

I'll confess that I'll be a benefactor to Steve's 700 billion point bailout package.
Looking forward to the forums stimulus package, too!

~BOT

Craig Outcalt

Tips for new DBAs: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Career/64632
My other articles: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Authors/Articles/Craig_Outcalt/560258
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.