SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Are the posted questions getting worse?

Are the posted questions getting worse?

Author
rodjkidd
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Neil Burton - Wednesday, November 28, 2018 3:18 AM

Guess who's just changed his registration details Smile

Neil,
That's now (at least) two Lead Floogle-Hoogle Hargle-Bargler's, we need someone who is either a F-H H-B, or a junior!
Of course we could just say they are back at the office looking after things Smile

Rodders...

Thomas Rushton
Thomas Rushton
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

Group: Moderators
rodjkidd - Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:03 AM

Neil,
That's now (at least) two Lead Floogle-Hoogle Hargle-Bargler's, we need someone who is either a F-H H-B, or a junior!
Of course we could just say they are back at the office looking after things Smile

Rodders...

or a Floogle-Hoogle Hargle-Bargler Herder (gerder?) to keep all the FHHBs in order. ;-)
rodjkidd
rodjkidd
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

ThomasRushton - Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:09 AM

or a Floogle-Hoogle Hargle-Bargler Herder (gerder?) to keep all the FHHBs in order. ;-)

Thomas,

You just made me actually laugh in the office...
Luckily no one seemed to notice :O

Rodders...

Neil Burton
Neil Burton
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

rodjkidd - Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:11 AM

Thomas,

You just made me actually laugh in the office...
Luckily no one seemed to notice :O

Rodders...

Thomas,
you've just made me laugh in the office too. Again, nobody seemed to notice, which says something about my standing around here.

Rod,
I'm actually a Senior F-H H-B thank you very much.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
rodjkidd
rodjkidd
SSChampion

Neil Burton - Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:21 AM

Thomas,
you've just made me laugh in the office too. Again, nobody seemed to notice, which says something about my standing around here.

Rod,
I'm actually a Senior F-H H-B thank you very much.

Neil,
Silly me, I knew I should have gone for High Lord F-H H-B BigGrin

Rodders...

Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)

rodjkidd - Wednesday, November 28, 2018 7:05 AM

Neil,
Silly me, I knew I should have gone for High Lord F-H H-B BigGrin

Rodders...

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/descriptivecomplexgrasshopper

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

jasona.work
jasona.work
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

You know what's annoying?
When you had an idea of something you wanted to look at the differences in, in SQL, but you didn't write down what you wanted to look at and can't recall *exactly* what it was.
But you can recall enough to kind of - sort of start your comparison...
Chad Crawford
 Chad Crawford
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

I'm doing a gameshow for our end-of-year user group meeting/party again this year. I'm doing Jeopardy again with buzzers and all, but I've completely rewritten it with all new questions since I've done it enough that people are starting to remember the answers. I'd like a second opinion on the new question quality - specifically if they are too hard (no one is going to get it) or too easy (boooring!). Is anyone willing to glance over some questions and give feedback on whether they are too simplistic or too nit-picky? There are 50 total (5 categories for Jeopardy and 5 for Double Jeopardy, with 5 questions in each category), but they are all pretty short. I have two categories to finish and should have it all ready tomorrow sometime.
Neil Burton
Neil Burton
SSCoach

It's a funny old world; I noticed that somebody had 'liked' this post I made four years ago, almost to the day. When I made it there was a lot of uncertainty about my future, nobody knew what was going to happen or when and I was expecting the axe to fall any day.

Here I am four years down the line still with the same company. I've been promoted, had two decent pay rises, started doing a lot more DBA work and I'm on my second car since I started worrying about replacing the one I had then.

We're still not sure what's going to happen but the company's recently signed another contract extension, this time taking us to the end of 2020! I'm now pretty sure my next job will be with SQL Server, maybe I'll make Chief Floogle-Hoogle Hargle-Bargling Officer one day.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (268K reputation)SSC Guru (268K reputation)SSC Guru (268K reputation)SSC Guru (268K reputation)SSC Guru (268K reputation)SSC Guru (268K reputation)SSC Guru (268K reputation)SSC Guru (268K reputation)

jasona.work - Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:07 AM
You know what's annoying?
When you had an idea of something you wanted to look at the differences in, in SQL, but you didn't write down what you wanted to look at and can't recall *exactly* what it was.
But you can recall enough to kind of - sort of start your comparison...

I don't think that's at all unusual. I have some of my coolest ideas when I'm nowhere near a computer. Remembering exactly what it is later...well, let's just say that the Vegas odds-makers could be put to work on that one.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.