SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Are the posted questions getting worse?

Are the posted questions getting worse?

Author
Luis Cazares
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, November 14, 2017 11:51 AM
Just a short update. My dad ended up being moved to ICU due to his heart racing last Thursday. He was moved back to the Orthopedic floor yesterday. He is being discharged today and moved to a Physical Therapy center where I expect to be for at least a couple of weeks. I will learn more on this later.
Looks like things are getting better, albeit slowly which is expected.

That's good news! I hope that the recovery keeps progressing.

Luis C.
General Disclaimer:
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (281K reputation)SSC Guru (281K reputation)SSC Guru (281K reputation)SSC Guru (281K reputation)SSC Guru (281K reputation)SSC Guru (281K reputation)SSC Guru (281K reputation)SSC Guru (281K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, November 14, 2017 11:51 AM
Just a short update. My dad ended up being moved to ICU due to his heart racing last Thursday. He was moved back to the Orthopedic floor yesterday. He is being discharged today and moved to a Physical Therapy center where I expect to be for at least a couple of weeks. I will learn more on this later.
Looks like things are getting better, albeit slowly which is expected.

glad to hear it.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Sioban Krzywicki
Sioban Krzywicki
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)

Hi everyone,
It has been awhile since I posted here and I hope you're all doing well.
I have a weird situation and I was wondering about the opinion of the most knowledgeable database people I know, so I figured I'd go right to where you all are. : -)
It has been proposed that we replace a large, heavily relational database structure with Mongo.
What do you think? Personally I don't think it is workable. I'd love to know more arguments against attempting such a thing. Most of my googling finds older criticism and proponants claim the newest version doesn't have these problems.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)

Sioban Krzywicki - Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:41 AM
Hi everyone,
I have a weird situation and I was wondering about the opinion of the most knowledgeable database people I know, so I figured I'd go right to where you all are. : -)
It has been proposed that we replace a large, heavily relational database structure with Mongo.
What do you think? Personally I don't think it is workable. I'd love to know more arguments against attempting such a thing. Most of my googling finds older criticism and proponants claim the newest version doesn't have these problems.

First question, why the move? And please, don't tell me because it is free. Our newest incarnation of our CIDNE product is using MongoDB. One it is a document NoSQL database (that I will be learning), and two it's free. If the product does stay relational it will go to PostgreSql, again, because it is free. I will need to learn it as well.

What I heard from engineers was that by the time they added indexes to MondoDB they basically had a relational database.

If there are valid reasons and MongoDB provides value, I can't argue against it. It really depends, in my mind, can you provide what is needed using SQL Server.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (431K reputation)SSC Guru (431K reputation)SSC Guru (431K reputation)SSC Guru (431K reputation)SSC Guru (431K reputation)SSC Guru (431K reputation)SSC Guru (431K reputation)SSC Guru (431K reputation)

Hi everyone,

What is their justification for such a move?. How do they think it will be faster, cheaper, better, easier, or whatever? Have they done an actual ROI study or is this some unqualified guess by people that happen to prefer Mongo for some reason?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)SSC Guru (189K reputation)

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:24 PM
Hi everyone,

What is their justification for such a move?. How do they think it will be faster, cheaper, better, easier, or whatever? Have they done an actual ROI study or is this some unqualified guess by people that happen to prefer Mongo for some reason?

Jeff, it is free, you know, just like the Obama Phone.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

Sioban Krzywicki
Sioban Krzywicki
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)

They say it is scalability and rapid development.
I believe it is because someone heard buzzwords & they don't understand the technologies involved.
They have not done any study. They know an analytics company that does great with its 8 tables. We have 900 tables.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (129K reputation)SSC Guru (129K reputation)SSC Guru (129K reputation)SSC Guru (129K reputation)SSC Guru (129K reputation)SSC Guru (129K reputation)SSC Guru (129K reputation)SSC Guru (129K reputation)

Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:39 PM
Jeff Moden - Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Jeff, it is free, you know, just like the Obama Phone.

Yeah, it's free and nobody has to pay anything for it...ever. There won't be any additional costs to anyone down the line. Wink

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru

Sioban Krzywicki - Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:25 PM
I believe it is because someone heard buzzwords & they don't understand the technologies involved.
They have not done any study. They know an analytics company that does great with its 8 tables. We have 900 tables.

And how many people in your company actually know anything technical about MongoDB. I am pretty sure that the engineers here know just as much about MongoDB as they do SQL Server which means means just enough to use it as a data store.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

Luis Cazares
Luis Cazares
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)

Sioban Krzywicki - Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:25 PM

Then you might want to introduce something that they might not understand, either. Whenever a NoSQL DB like MongoDB can ensure ACIDity, then we can talk about scalability. Unless, of course, they don't want to ensure the data is correct 100% of the time.

Luis C.
General Disclaimer:
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.