SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Are the posted questions getting worse?

Are the posted questions getting worse?

Author
Ed Wagner
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
jasona.work - Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:03 AM
Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:42 AM
jasona.work - Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:07 AM
Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:18 AM
You know, I love you people. You're smart. You're willing to admit when you don't know something. You help out each other (and me) when you can...

This is such a WONDERFUL place...

(she says after a phone interview in which the interviewee recognized her name as being here and her boss made a joke about her spending too much time here. @=)

Take that, BossMan!

/Me immediately fires off a resume to Brandie's place of work with her listed as a reference

We've got a 9 month contract open. @=) Unfortunately, it's not remote and it's not contract-to-hire. Just 9 months for project and coverage.

Oh, well in that case, I'm going to need to turn down that generous offer from your employer that I never got.
BigGrin

Jason, the commute would have killed you. You'd have to turn around to return to work before you made it home. Tongue

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Thomas Rushton
Thomas Rushton
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)

Group: Moderators
GilaMonster - Friday, July 14, 2017 6:42 AM
Thom A - Friday, July 14, 2017 1:33 AM
Chris Harshman - Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:14 PM
Thom A - Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:59 AM
does anyone know where you find SQL Server 2012 Developer?
I don't think developer edition was available for free until 2014 version:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2016/03/31/microsoft-sql-server-developer-edition-is-now-free/
[/quote]

We have one instance at the moment, so it definitely is/was. Smile
[/quote]

It wasn't.
It was free if you had MSDN subscription (or probably volume licensing too), otherwise it was a $10 purchase (supposed to have a license per developer). From 2014 onwards, it's free.
[/quote]

$10? Strewth, I feel ripped off. I paid about £40 for it back in the day...

Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

jasona.work - Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:13 PM
So reading the posts from Brandie about the job got me thinking (that was that smoke you were smelling...)
My Oracle counterpart here, yesterday, mentioned that she'd basically had a mentor when she was first moving into Oracle, and she was quite surprised that I didn't have a mentor (beyond initially Google and eventually here.) So, how many of you had what you would consider a mentor when you started moving into SQL? Or, like me, did you start out as an accidental DBA and go from there?

And, lastly, what would you estimate the median DBA salary in your area is (in whatever monetary units are applicable, I can handle converting on Google...)

I first started with desktop applications development. When I moved to databases full-time, I started in Oracle development and did have a mentor. She gave me to a developer who taught me a lot. When I reached his level, she took me back and she went nuts. She had been a DBA forever (loads of experience) and taught me so much about design and how things work; there was a lot but I loved it.

As for median salary, I don't know what it is, but since we're in the same metro area, I'm sure you do. If you know it, would you post it along with the source?

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)

ThomasRushton - Friday, July 14, 2017 7:19 AM

I think it was 10. May have been 50. Some 'not too high but not zero figure'
I always got mine from MSDN sub.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Thom A
Thom A
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

GilaMonster - Friday, July 14, 2017 7:36 AM
ThomasRushton - Friday, July 14, 2017 7:19 AM

I think it was 10. May have been 50. Some 'not too high but not zero figure'
I always got mine from MSDN sub.

Thanks guys. Hadn't actually realised that 2012 was still a paid for licence for Dev (misread Chris' post, thought they said there wasn't one rather than a free one). In the same breath that I've asked for some Windows Server licence costs, I've asked our Software Vendor for them to add in 2 SQL Server 2012 Dev licences.

Thom~
Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does :-P

Please always remember to encapsulate your code in IFCode Markup. For example [code=sql] [/code].
Click here to read Jeffs Guide on how to post SQL questions, and get swift and helpful answers from the community
Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)

So reading the posts from Brandie about the job got me thinking (that was that smoke you were smelling...)
My Oracle counterpart here, yesterday, mentioned that she'd basically had a mentor when she was first moving into Oracle, and she was quite surprised that I didn't have a mentor (beyond initially Google and eventually here.) So, how many of you had what you would consider a mentor when you started moving into SQL? Or, like me, did you start out as an accidental DBA and go from there?

And, lastly, what would you estimate the median DBA salary in your area is (in whatever monetary units are applicable, I can handle converting on Google...)

When I started out? Neither. I did all my studying myself because I was in a completely different industry. Then I started hopping onto websites like this and Tek-Tips to read and attempt (poorly) to answer questions with my newly gained knowledge. In fact, I don't think I ever really had a SQL mentor through my entire career, though I've tried to give back both locally and online. Somehow I muddled through and got jobs anyway. @=)

Median salary in Jacksonville FL ... Hrm... I don't know. I'd have to look it up on Salary.com or something. I would guess approximately 80k, but I could be way off. And... Googling it, Glassdoor tells me $71,634. But remember that's median and I know several DBAs who said they were working 6 digit salaries. Of course some of them were working for real DBA-type sweatshops too with little PTO too. So there's always that trade off.

EDIT: I should mention Glassdoor differentiates between different DBA levels. I think the above was "regular" or possibly junior DBA. Senior DBA is registering around 89k-91k median.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Luis Cazares
Luis Cazares
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)

I started as a full stack developer using VFP and SQL Server before getting out of college (before getting my A.S. degree) and my boss was also a teacher at my university. He was my first mentor, but also the one that taught me how to code using cursors. After some years, you guys became my mentors. I have to thank Gail, Jeff, Lynn, Dwain, Sean, and many others.
I agree with Gail,right now I'm probably making more money than many directors on my previous company in Mexico, which offered good salaries. However, I don't have the purchasing power they have.
EDIT: I also need to thank you for getting me to a position where I crossed the six figures salary line. I now have to check if I can get to seven. Hehe

Luis C.
General Disclaimer:
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
jasona.work
jasona.work
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)

Ed Wagner - Friday, July 14, 2017 7:24 AM

I first started with desktop applications development. When I moved to databases full-time, I started in Oracle development and did have a mentor. She gave me to a developer who taught me a lot. When I reached his level, she took me back and she went nuts. She had been a DBA forever (loads of experience) and taught me so much about design and how things work; there was a lot but I loved it.

As for median salary, I don't know what it is, but since we're in the same metro area, I'm sure you do. If you know it, would you post it along with the source?

So, similar to Brandie I took a quick look at salaries in the metro-Detroit area...
Glasdoor reports ~$72k/yr for a SQL DBA, Payscale.com reports ~$101k/yr for a Senior SQL DBA.

Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (37K reputation)

I keep getting logged out of SSC (which I don't find out until I go to reply to a message). When I log back in, I get the following message:

An error occurred
There was an unexpected error. If you keep seeing this message, contact the board administrator

Anyone else seeing this issue or is it just me?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSC-Dedicated

Okay... And now cutting and pasting the quote did weird justification things to my sig...

Oh, well. On to the thing I was going to post.

I absolutely hate it when corporate changes standards on us without warning. For instance, we have long NAS share names that include special characters like hypens and underscores. Basically ABC_DEF_Environment kind of thing. But when I requested a new share called XYZ_SRTThing, I'm told not only can I not have the underscore characters in the share name, but that the total length of the share, including the tree name, can't be longer than 15 characters.

So if that's right, I only get six characters to name my share, plus I have to ensure the share has the application name in it which in several instances is longer than six characters, plus I have to put the environment (Test, QC, Production) after it. Which leaves me with ... no characters for the share name?

I swear Corporate hates us. People must come up with requirements like this so they don't have to do any work...

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.