SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Error: Server local connection provider has stopped listening on [ \\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER ]

Error: Server local connection provider has stopped listening on [ \\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER ]

Author
Spicoli
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am occasionally seeing the following error on two of our SQL 2005 64bit servers. (build 9.0.3239)

"Server local connection provider has stopped listening on [ \\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER ] due to a failure. Error: 0xe8, state: 4. The server will automatically attempt to re-establish listening."

The "automatic re-establish" works within a minute and the servers seem to continue to function correctly, but I'm still interested in knowing what's causing the error.

There isn't anything in the server Event logs and there is minimal load on the server at the time.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I've had a look on the web but can't see much about it.

Cheers
JohnnyDBA
JohnnyDBA
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (866 reputation)SSC Eights! (866 reputation)SSC Eights! (866 reputation)SSC Eights! (866 reputation)SSC Eights! (866 reputation)SSC Eights! (866 reputation)SSC Eights! (866 reputation)SSC Eights! (866 reputation)

I'm seeing the same issues. Anyone know what might cause this?

SQL Ver 9.0.3186
Calsqldba
Calsqldba
Valued Member
Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)

I am having the same problem. Please let me know, why it is happening.
Paresh Prajapati
Paresh Prajapati
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)SSC Eights! (991 reputation)

Spicoli (10/9/2008)
I am occasionally seeing the following error on two of our SQL 2005 64bit servers. (build 9.0.3239)

"Server local connection provider has stopped listening on [ \\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER ] due to a failure. Error: 0xe8, state: 4. The server will automatically attempt to re-establish listening."

The "automatic re-establish" works within a minute and the servers seem to continue to function correctly, but I'm still interested in knowing what's causing the error.

There isn't anything in the server Event logs and there is minimal load on the server at the time.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I've had a look on the web but can't see much about it.

Cheers

Please enable named piped protcol in sql server.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Paresh Prajapati
Arrow +919924626601
http://paresh-sqldba.blogspot.com/
LinkedIn | Tweet Me | FaceBook | Brijj
sarika_patalay
sarika_patalay
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)

Paresh,
I am recieving the same erroe as stated above. The solution you've suggested is to enable 'named pipes' in the config manager. I have crosschecked that the 'named pipes' is already enabled on the server that keeps sending out the error, ie., "Error: 0xe8, state: 4". Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
SP
Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)

Do you see any issue with this behavior? It looks like a client made a NP connection to the server after the Pipe is created, but before it's ready to accept connection. When we try to setup things to accept connection, we could re-active the existing client connection and thing would be OK. However, looks like in your case, client closed the connection before everything is ready and we logged this error. The server is robust to create another pipe to accept new connections after this. You can verify if this is the case by using Netmon to see how the NP connection is opened/closed.

The above is the correct answer it is related to Named Pipe being used before it is ready to accept connection. Check the link below for details.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2005/12/22/506607.aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
sarika_patalay
sarika_patalay
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Is there anyway this problem can be avoided / fixed ?
Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)

You could enable Named Pipes and TCP/IP which is what I do but you also have the option to use NetMon to see how your Named Pipes are opened and closed per that text I posted.

http://blogs.technet.com/netmon/

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
JC-3113
JC-3113
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)

Can you tell me where to find this entry in SMS ?

"Please enable named piped protcol in sql server."

Thanks
Jim
Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
SSCrazy Eights

JC-3113 (3/21/2013)
Can you tell me where to find this entry in SMS ?

"Please enable named piped protcol in sql server."

Thanks
Jim

The protocols are not in SMS but in Configuration manager under Network Configuration then Protocols. I am only running SQL Server 2012 so I am assuming it is the same in 2005.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.