SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

convert date object into integer

convert date object into integer

Author
Vijoy Kolady
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I need to convert a date object into its integer representation in SQL server 2005.

Can anybody throw some light on this ASAP ?

Thanks
Vijoy
John H Marsh
John H Marsh
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Hello,

Try: Convert(Char(8), GetDate(), 112)

Is that is the output that you need?

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
SQL Server Luxembourg User Group
jacob sebastian
jacob sebastian
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

or is it what you are looking for?

select cast(getdate() as int)
/*
*/
select cast(39717 as datetime)
/*
2008-09-28 00:00:00.000
*/

Vijoy Kolady
Vijoy Kolady
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)

Guys,Thanks for the replies.

What i need is an integer representation of a date say 1/9/2008 converted into seconds to be inserted into the database.

The output of a date value (1/9/2008) being inserted into the DB should be somewhat like 1220......

Awaiting your reply.
jacob sebastian
jacob sebastian
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

Could you explain what exactly you are trying to achieve? Probably you may not need to do what you are trying to do now.

SQL Server stores a DATETIME value internally as two 4 byte integers. The first integer stores the number of days since 1900-01-01 and the second integer stores the number of milliseconds since midnight.

So, you may not need to do an additional conversion by yourself.What are you trying to achieve?

Vijoy Kolady
Vijoy Kolady
SSC Rookie

Sorry for the confusion.

I need to compare a date value that is stored in the DB via Java like this

--> "" + (cal.getTime().getTime()/1000)

So for comparing at run time i need to convert my date object (1/9/2008) as a millisecond value so that i can compare it with the DB value.

Are you able to understand my problem now ?
jacob sebastian
jacob sebastian
UDP Broadcaster

So what is the exact output you are expecting from this date value?

Vijoy Kolady
Vijoy Kolady
SSC Rookie

I need the output as 1215714600 which is an int value of the date converted into milliseconds
jacob sebastian
jacob sebastian
UDP Broadcaster

What is the formula you used to get this number?

Atif-ullah Sheikh
Atif-ullah Sheikh
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

For such value, u need a Cut OFF date, from onwards, you can calculate the miiseconds till the required date, for example,
FirstDate = getdate() - 1
Seconddate = getdate()
Now, you can calculate teh milliseconds based on the difference of two dates as,
lets say, if the difference is 1, then 24 hours = 24*60 Minutes = 24*60*60 seconds = 24*60*60*1000 milliseconds

Atif Sheikh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.

You can check my BLOG here

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.