Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Short cut key

Short cut key

Author
Hari.Sharma
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Short cut key

Cheers,
Hari
Tips & Tricks for SQL BI Developers

notquitexena
notquitexena
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (885 reputation)SSC Eights! (885 reputation)SSC Eights! (885 reputation)SSC Eights! (885 reputation)SSC Eights! (885 reputation)SSC Eights! (885 reputation)SSC Eights! (885 reputation)SSC Eights! (885 reputation)

Did anyone else notice the date for this QOTD is a month in the future?

Doc Brown rules!

Blink
OCTom
OCTom
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

I'm fairly new to SQL Server so I may not be seeing it. ALT+F1 brings up nothing at all in management studio. Also, isn't sp_help used in code?

Unsure
Vivien Xing
Vivien Xing
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

The link "SQL Server Management Studio Keyboard Shortcuts" is very helpful.
Karl_Chand
Karl_Chand
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)SSC Veteran (284 reputation)

Alt+F1 acts a little different to sp_help. sp_help list specifics for an object while Alt+F1 list all objects in a selected database.
Hari.Sharma
Hari.Sharma
Ten Centuries

Karl_Chand (7/14/2008)
Alt+F1 acts a little different to sp_help. sp_help list specifics for an object while Alt+F1 list all objects in a selected database.

Did you really try this?

Just select a table name and press Alt+F1 and see the result...

Cheers,
Hari
Tips & Tricks for SQL BI Developers

AntonDeski
AntonDeski
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)

Even though my Studio is set up for the shortcut, it doesn't do anything. Most probably because I've got a soft-KVM and that seems to blat most shortcuts just because it can. Wink

I'll have to try it at home.
Iggy-SQL
Iggy-SQL
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

I don't have SQL Server 2005 so I can't test, but according to the keyboard shortcut list on BOL (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174205.aspx) there is no ALT+F1 at all. Is this a custom keyboard shortcut?

Urbis, an urban transformation company
skyline666
skyline666
Old Hand
Old Hand (358 reputation)Old Hand (358 reputation)Old Hand (358 reputation)Old Hand (358 reputation)Old Hand (358 reputation)Old Hand (358 reputation)Old Hand (358 reputation)Old Hand (358 reputation)

Hari.Sharma (7/14/2008)
Did you really try this?

Just select a table name and press Alt+F1 and see the result...

Just select a table name and press Alt+F1, is that all I have to do? I click on a table name in the object explorer and pressed Alt+F1 and nothing happened, so I made a new query and put the table name in there (with and without the database name), and I received an error:

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near '.'.

So what do I need to do to see this? Does doing this in Management Studio Express 2005 not work?

PS. I see I wasn't the only one to confuse this with the "How Do I" under Help on the toolbar Hehe

EDIT:
Why is this QOTD for next month anyway? I know there is a question for this month, and that would have something to do with it.
Øystein Fallo
Øystein Fallo
Ten Centuries

You have to enclose the object name in double-quotes when using two-part names (include schema)..
like this : "dbo.spt_values" (in master).
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.