Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Bit data

Bit data

Author
Dr. Diana Dee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Bit data
Bill Mell
Bill Mell
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)

The question did not mention SQL 2005.
My answer was for SQL 2000.
Oh well.
shamshudheen
shamshudheen
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)

hi

i am using sql 2000, then the answer is wrong
jim.powers
jim.powers
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

The question does specifically request the results from SQL Server 2005.
webrunner
webrunner
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

jim.powers (5/7/2008)
The question does specifically request the results from SQL Server 2005.

Yes, it does.

What will be the result when the following query is executed on SQL Server 2005?

Also, and this depends on knowing the sample databases, but AdventureWorks is one of the new sample databases for SQL 2005.

Reference:
http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2007/05/23/sql-server-2005-northwind-database-or-adventureworks-database-samples-databases/

-------------------
"I love spending twice as long and working twice as hard to get half as much done!" – Nobody ever.
Ref.: http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/powershell-how-to-write-your-first-powershell-script

"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Dr. Diana Dee
Dr. Diana Dee
Hall of Fame

I was very careful to specify SQL 2005 because SQL 2000 behaves differently.

I was inspired to post this question because one of my students used WHERE = 'true' for a bit column. I tested that in SQL 2000 and it did not work, so I told the student he was wrong. However, when I tested that in SQL 2005, it worked.

I was not trying to trick anyone, since I explicitly specified SQL 2005, and found an example from the AdventureWorks database.

):-D
GSquared
GSquared
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

It's a good question and gives all the necessary information.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)

WHERE SalariedFlag = 'true' for bit would not work in 2000 but since it says use Adventureworks, it clear that the question is for SQL 2005.

SQL DBA.
Dr. Diana Dee
Dr. Diana Dee
Hall of Fame

True.

And I explicitly said "2005" in the body of the question.

):-D
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Just a problem with some people not reading the entire question. The question did specifically state SQL Server 2005.

Good question, everything specified to be able to make an educated guess at the answer.

Well done.

Cool

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.