SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Mask Password

Mask Password

Author
2Tall
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am attempting to create a backend database that is to accessed by a front end web site. I have created a single table in my sql db 'dbo.Users'. One of the fields contains the users password. Currently it is stored in plain text. In access I know how to mask this but how is it achieved in SQL?
Many Thanks,
Phil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper

Scalability Doug
Scalability Doug
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Check out Encryption:Columns in SQL Server BOL

DAB
2Tall
2Tall
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Thanks I will have a read.
Phil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper

2Tall
2Tall
UDP Broadcaster

Back again. I am running SQL 2005 on a XP Pro machine. Here is what I did:

create master key encryption by password = 'Pufd&s@))%';

create certificate cert_sk_admin with subject = 'Certificate for accessing symmetric keys - for use by admin';

create certificate cert_sk_charles with subject = 'Certificate for accessing symmetric keys - for use by Charles';

create symmetric key sk_users with algorithm = aes_192 encryption by certificate cert_sk_admin;

The above command generates an error:
Msg 15314, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Either no algorithm has been specified or the bitlength and the algorithm specified for the key are not available in this installation of Windows.

Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Phil.

Tommy Cooper

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I don't believe that AES is available in XP.

No one is likely to crack them. I'd use one of the shorter and quicker algorithms like RSA for the asymmetric key.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
2Tall
2Tall
UDP Broadcaster

Thanks Steve, I will have a read up on asymmetric keys.
Phil

Tommy Cooper

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.