Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

XP_cmdshell error.

XP_cmdshell error.

Author
JMSM
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)SSC Veteran (272 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello,

Can you tell me how can i give permissions for the execution of the xp_cmdshell to one user without give the sysadmin permission. This problem appears because theres an apicatioon(app user) that needs to execute some operating system task but i cant give this privilege to users.

I give the grant execution on the xp_cmdshell but it gives me the following error.

Msg 15153, Level 16, State 1, Procedure xp_cmdshell, Line 1
The xp_cmdshell proxy account information cannot be retrieved or is invalid. Verify that the '##xp_cmdshell_proxy_account##' credential exists and contains valid information.
(0 row(s) affected)

Thanks and regards.
jmsmWink

Andras Belokosztolszki
Andras Belokosztolszki
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

JMSM (1/30/2008)
Hello,

Can you tell me how can i give permissions for the execution of the xp_cmdshell to one user without give the sysadmin permission. This problem appears because theres an apicatioon(app user) that needs to execute some operating system task but i cant give this privilege to users.

I give the grant execution on the xp_cmdshell but it gives me the following error.

The xp_cmdshell proxy account information cannot be retrieved or is invalid. Verify that the '##xp_cmdshell_proxy_account##' credential exists and contains valid information.
(0 row(s) affected)

Thanks and regards.
jmsmWink

If the user is not in the sysadmin role SQL Server will need to you need use a proxy account. You can set this up using sp_xp_cmdshell_proxy_account (see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190359.aspx)
Regards,
Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
GoldenGate Software
sunshine-587009
sunshine-587009
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)

I've tried this and users still get the following error.

the xp_cmdshell proxy account information cannot be retrieved or is invalid. Verify that the '##xp_cmdshell_proxy_account##' credential exists and contains valid information.

Any idea what else it could be?

¤ §unshine ¤
Mohan Kumar
Mohan  Kumar
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

are you sure you specified valid account? did you follow syntax shown below to create account?:
EXEC sp_xp_cmdshell_proxy_account 'MyDomain\MyUserName', 'myDomainPassword'

--www.sqlvillage.com
sunshine-587009
sunshine-587009
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)SSC-Addicted (427 reputation)

Yes, however it is a windows user id and i did not enter a password. Is that incorrect?

¤ §unshine ¤
Mohan Kumar
Mohan  Kumar
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

yes, you should enter password while creating it.

--www.sqlvillage.com
sunshine-587009
sunshine-587009
SSC-Addicted

Any password? I used a group windows authenticated account. all developers can access everything via this account rather than being individually assigned security. Less maintenance.

¤ §unshine ¤
K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (7.4K reputation)

Group: Moderators
You must put the correct password for the Windows account you've specified will be the proxy account. And yes, when a non-Sysadmin runs xp_cmdshell, xp_cmdshell will execute as this Windows account and only this Windows account. So be careful with respect to what rights it has.

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
sunshine-587009
sunshine-587009
SSC-Addicted

ok. I'll have to talk to whoever setup this account. They just all log in with their individual windows account and have access.
thanks!

¤ §unshine ¤
sunshine-587009
sunshine-587009
SSC-Addicted

I have one of the network guys looking into a password for this account, however i find it weird that they can see legacy dts packages and schedule and run scheduled jobs.

¤ §unshine ¤
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.