SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Sql Server 2005 Clustering

Sql Server 2005 Clustering

Author
chinn
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi Everybody,

We have a cluster service accout used to create a Windows cluster and also the service account runs on this account and it's a local admin on the box.

I installed sql server cluster and all the sql service accounts use a different account after installing sql i removed built in admins and now i am testing failover sql server is not coming up and saying login failed for 'cluster service account' and i am not sure why it's using that account.

Please let me know if the cluster service account should have acces to sql server ...if so why.

Thanks in Advance.

Chinn

colin.Leversuch-Roberts
colin.Leversuch-Roberts
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

you have to be careful removing builtin admins ona cluster - there's some KB articles about this try KB 263712

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Sopheap Suy
Sopheap Suy
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

If you remove builtin admin, it won't work. Cluster is one of the beast that won't function well. I would say that it is one of the exception that is different then regular install.

sopheap

fhanlon
fhanlon
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

I have removed the builtin account on my clusters and it works. The cluster account must be made sysadmin as is the account the runs SQL and SQL Agent

Francis
chinn
chinn
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)SSC Veteran (270 reputation)

Thanks for the input guys...

That's what i did ..i added both cluster service account and the service account that runs sql server as sysadmin in sql server...

Thanks.

K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
fhanlon (10/9/2007)
I have removed the builtin account on my clusters and it works. The cluster account must be made sysadmin as is the account the runs SQL and SQL Agent

The Microsoft guidance on this has changed. The cluster account must be able to login but it doesn't need to be a member of the sysadmin fixed server role:

How to impede Windows NT administrators from administering a clustered instance of SQL Server (SQL Server 7.0 and 2000)

Before Installing Failover Clustering (SQL Server 2005) - See section Configure Microsoft Cluster Service.

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
chinn
chinn
SSC Veteran

Brian,

Does it mean just add a login with no permissions?

Thanks,

K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I believe so. One way to test is to create a login with no permissions and run SELECT @@SERVERNAME and see if it can execute it. It should be able to do so as any login should be placed in the public role automatically.

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
chinn
chinn
SSC Veteran

Thanks Very Much!

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.