SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Copying DTS Packages To a Different Server

Copying DTS Packages To a Different Server

Author
Andy Warren
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/copyingdtspackagestoadifferentserver.asp>http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/copyingdtspackagestoadifferentserver.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Simon Galbraith
Simon Galbraith
Valued Member
Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)Valued Member (64 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Red Gate Software are working on a new product to help people out in comparing and synchronizing the different settings between different SQL Servers. It will be called SQL Server Compare. It will compare DTS packages, logins, jobs and server settings. The idea is to save DBAs who have to administer and set up multiple SQL Servers a whole load of time. It should be launched before the end of April. People interested in the Beta (and in influencing what functionality we include) please contact us at: sqlservercompare@red-gate.com
Cheers,
Simon Galbraith

retreif
retreif
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)

moving DTS packages is as easy as using save-as and picking the other server...

Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Depends on how many you're moving doesn't it? I wrote this after someone asked for help moving more than 200 packages.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Antares686
Antares686
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

I haven't had a chance yet to test it, but it is an interesting concept for moving DTS packages that I will have to play with it. Good job.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

retreif
retreif
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)

I guess my point was if you have to go in to review each DTS package to check if pathing whatever is correct then file save as works as well as spending the time to get this working. I'm not saying this isn't a slick way to automate if you can be sure. Sorry I didn't express that better the first time.

darren.green
darren.green
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)

The limitation of the wizard not allowing you to transfer system tables can be overcome by building the package manually.

Transferring DTS Packages
http://www.sqldts.com/main.asp?nav=1,6,204,0

Darren Green
SQLDTS.com | SQLIS.com | Konesans Ltd
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSC-Insane

Retreif - I agree. You either have to spend extra time (possibly anyway) when you build it to make it portable or live with the consequences if/when you have to move it. I figure you could at least do the bulk move, then edit the ones you knew you had to fix, then see whats left!

Darren - thanks for the link. Should have looked there first! Fun to explore though. Have you considered participating in the beta test mentioned above?

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
retreif
retreif
SSC-Enthusiastic

I sometimes think only in my world too, I never know what to expect in the package I develop in and maintain. Too many different "styles" to count on any thing working like that. I'm also glad not to be working in app with 200 or more DTS packages transferring data between data sources!

Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSC-Insane

Aint that the truth!

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.