SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Devil is in the Monitoring Details

The Devil is in the Monitoring Details

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Devil is in the Monitoring Details

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
steve.powell 14027
steve.powell 14027
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
If you only check the monitor data when something goes wrong, you're reacting to an issue, not being proactive in managing your servers.

No, you won't catch every instance, but if you keep an eye on the monitors then you've a chance of catching something that's building towards becoming a serious, if not critical problem before it's gotten that far. Alerts are great for when there is an exception: When something unexpected happened and your server fails or is close to failure.

As to internal tools v third party: I'd always go with Hybrid. Belt + Bracers + Gaffa Tape: You know your systems and know what normal behaviour is while third party tools can't always be configured to account for peculiarities in your servers or cover all the things you would prefer to monitor. So use third party tools to reduce your workload, but be prepared to add additional scripts, monitors and in house tools to cover the local peculiarities of your systems.

That's from my experience at least.
Ralph Hightower
Ralph Hightower
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I created a Windows service to monitor a web application and its database; it retrieves the application login page and also connects to the database and runs a query that is commonly used in the application. If an error occurs on the web server side, it will notify the server hosting team about the problem. For SQL Server errors, it will notify the DBA team and if the error is "Path not found" or other network related error, it will also notify the server hosting team. I added checking on when the application's security certificate will expire and it sends notifications a week from expiration. It would be nice to have the certificate expire outside of the hurricane season, but it expires during the height of hurricane season.
It's not as fancy as the Stack Overflow monitoring, but it found when the security certificate expired last year.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.