SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Finding the database

Finding the database

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Finding the database

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice question, thanks Steve

edwardwill
edwardwill
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

I hadn't come across this function, but I confess that I struggle to understand the utility of it. If you amend the SELECT statement thus

SELECTPARSENAME('MyDB.dbo.OrderLine', 3)

it returns MyDB. But then you knew that already, because you'd typed it in! So in what circumstances might this return something you didn't already know ...
Toreador
Toreador
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

it also makes no attempt to validate the string you pass in, so
SELECT PARSENAME('x.y.z', 3)

will always return 'x'
ie it's a simple string-parsing method.

Surely if you want to know the database name you just run
SELECT DB_NAME()

Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (259K reputation)SSC Guru (259K reputation)SSC Guru (259K reputation)SSC Guru (259K reputation)SSC Guru (259K reputation)SSC Guru (259K reputation)SSC Guru (259K reputation)SSC Guru (259K reputation)

edwardwill - Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:14 AM
I hadn't come across this function, but I confess that I struggle to understand the utility of it. If you amend the SELECT statement thus

SELECTPARSENAME('MyDB.dbo.OrderLine', 3)

it returns MyDB. But then you knew that already, because you'd typed it in! So in what circumstances might this return something you didn't already know ...

The intended usage is a bit questionable to me as well. In fact I have used it for the intended purposes exactly never. It is however useful. You can leverage it as a very limited string splitter. I have used it to parse emails into multiple components. You can do something similar for URLs or other strings you need to parse. The limitation is a max number of 4 elements.

Here is an example.

declare @Email varchar(100) = 'sean.lange@somewhere.com'

--First we replace any existing periods with a character sequence not found in (any reasonable) email address because PARSENAME uses the period as the delimiter
SET @Email = replace(replace(@Email, '.', '^%^'), '@', '.')

--We need to undo the replace to restablish the original periods
select UserName = replace(PARSENAME(@Email, 2), '^%^', '.')
, DomainName = replace(PARSENAME(@Email, 1), '^%^', '.')

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Shayn Thomas
Shayn Thomas
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

nice question
thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more you know, the more you know that you dont know
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)SSC Guru (620K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I'm not sure what this function is useful for, but I'm sure someone found a use. The best use so far is splitting IP addresses.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Ray Herring
Ray Herring
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

BOL does not help much either.
It implies that the function looks the "object" up (like searching sys.objects) and the really does parse and object name when
actually all it does is parse a string with up to 4 parts using '.' as the separator.
It's a nice that you can use a variable/column for parameter 1.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (896K reputation)SSC Guru (896K reputation)SSC Guru (896K reputation)SSC Guru (896K reputation)SSC Guru (896K reputation)SSC Guru (896K reputation)SSC Guru (896K reputation)SSC Guru (896K reputation)

MS has many system stored procedures that us it so you can pass in 'somenondboschemaname.sometablename'. For example, sp_rename uses it and you can pass in up to a 4 part name. I've used it in a similar manner. I've also used it for splitting IP addresses and CSVs/TSVs with up to 4 elements.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

When you put the right degree of spin on it, the number 318 is also a glyph that describes the nature of a DBAs job. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.