SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How to run Deployed Pkg's at 64 bit

How to run Deployed Pkg's at 64 bit

Author
quinn.jay
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello, I'm on a single SQL Server instance and box where both Dev and prod occur. I have VS 2015 installed, with Teradata Drivers and Attunity driver to reach the data source. All that is 32 bit for the VS/SSDT needs. The pkgs get deployed, and a job is created, steps added, etc and then its scheduled and runs. But it runs in 32 bit for the connection, as that's what is used to design the pkg.
I have also installed Teradata 64 bit driver and 64 Attunity on the same one server as well. Is, or would, the easiest way to switch my job that runs the steps, in the connection manager or the SSISDB? I look, both places look similar, with this is as a connection string: {Teradata};CHARSET=UTF8;LOGINTIMEOUT=20;DBCNAME=<sysnamehere>;UID=<usernamehere>;DATABASE=;ACCOUNT=;AUTHENTICATION=;WINAUTH=0. I'm not really seeing a good place to switch the jobs connection to use 64 drivers and providers. Thanks
frederico_fonseca
frederico_fonseca
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

If you run the package through a sql server agent job, within a step defined as Integration Services Package there is a tick box on the advanced properties to elect it to run as 32 bit - by default it will run under the type of install - if SQL install is 64bit it will run as 64bit unless this box is ticked.

If running from the command line the same applies but on this case a parameter is supplied to force to 32bit if running on a 64bit server.
quinn.jay
quinn.jay
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

frederico_fonseca - Wednesday, July 11, 2018 3:23 PM
If you run the package through a sql server agent job, within a step defined as Integration Services Package there is a tick box on the advanced properties to elect it to run as 32 bit - by default it will run under the type of install - if SQL install is 64bit it will run as 64bit unless this box is ticked.

If running from the command line the same applies but on this case a parameter is supplied to force to 32bit if running on a 64bit server.

I already have it with that 32 bit switch turned off, if I turn t on, then it will error. How can i check to validate that when it is running that its at 64 bit then? when I run one of my jobs, and look at network traffic, its half that of others who are pulling in data at a known 64 bit. This has been a long term problem with someone before me not setting up the server quite right, but also a single box thats used both for Dev and Prod
frederico_fonseca
frederico_fonseca
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

32/64 bit has nothing to do with network speed - if speed is lower the issue is with the package and what it is doing and the configuration of the dataflow tasks.

Exactly how are you running the packages? SQL Agent SSIS task or Command line dtexec? If your SQL Server is 64 bit and the flags are not set it will run in 64bit - if running through command line dtexec this can easily be verified by looking at the task manager for dtexec process - if it has a 32 in front of it it is running in 32bit mode else is running on 64bit.
quinn.jay
quinn.jay
SSCarpal Tunnel

frederico_fonseca - Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:00 PM
32/64 bit has nothing to do with network speed - if speed is lower the issue is with the package and what it is doing and the configuration of the dataflow tasks.

Exactly how are you running the packages? SQL Agent SSIS task or Command line dtexec? If your SQL Server is 64 bit and the flags are not set it will run in 64bit - if running through command line dtexec this can easily be verified by looking at the task manager for dtexec process - if it has a 32 in front of it it is running in 32bit mode else is running on 64bit.

It' being run via a built job and run by SQL Agent

Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)

quinn.jay - Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:41 PM

I've read this thread through a couple of times and I still don't really understand the issue. A SQL Agent job step which runs a package calls a program called DTExec.exe to run the package. DTExec.exe comes in 32- and 64-bit versions, and the one which is executed depends on how you have configured the step in SQL Agent. If you have installed only the 64-bit versions of the drivers on the server, you need to run the package in 64-bit mode.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
frederico_fonseca
frederico_fonseca
SSChampion

Phil Parkin - Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:48 AM

I've read this thread through a couple of times and I still don't really understand the issue. A SQL Agent job step which runs a package calls a program called DTExec.exe to run the package. DTExec.exe comes in 32- and 64-bit versions, and the one which is executed depends on how you have configured the step in SQL Agent. If you have installed only the 64-bit versions of the drivers on the server, you need to run the package in 64-bit mode.

The issue is that the OP thinks that the packages are not running in 64bit mode as the observed network speed while transferring data is lower than other packages he "knows" are running in 64bit mode.
So the OP wishes to validate that the packages are indeed running in 64bit mode.

quinn.jay
quinn.jay
SSCarpal Tunnel

frederico_fonseca - Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:43 AM
Phil Parkin - Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:48 AM

The issue is that the OP thinks that the packages are not running in 64bit mode as the observed network speed while transferring data is lower than other packages he "knows" are running in 64bit mode.
So the OP wishes to validate that the packages are indeed running in 64bit mode.

Your right, and I look at the services of a job running right now, and it only shows dtexec.exe and no reference to it being 32 or 64 bit
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)SSC Guru (221K reputation)

quinn.jay - Thursday, July 12, 2018 12:20 PM

Your right, and I look at the services of a job running right now, and it only shows dtexec.exe and no reference to it being 32 or 64 bit

If you are looking at processes in Task Manager, do the following:

1) Switch to the Details pane
2) Right click one of the columns and 'Select Columns'
3) Display the 'Platform'

That will give you a definitive answer.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.