SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Troublesome Names

Troublesome Names

Author
Phil Factor
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Troublesome Names

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
richard-674310
richard-674310
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)SSC-Addicted (424 reputation)

Everything mentioned in the editorial is correct. Yet it is incomplete. It fails to give useful, actionable guidance on the most crucial thing; namely what to do.

Instead of mentioning the many difficult problems with validating names it should mention the one thing which will fix the problem.

Instead of attempting to validate names and block SQL statements, such code should use the parameters mechanism. That way we end up with Mr Null as a proper row in the database along with Mrs Create, Miss Drop and the entire Apostrophe family.

We also eliminate a bunch of complex and difficult to maintain code.

In my experience with these, the biggest problem came when we took on a girl who had no family name. She came from a small village, they had no need of such things so they didn’t bother. I bet she left a trail of broken computer systems behind her.

RonKyle
RonKyle
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Everything mentioned in the editorial is correct. Yet it is incomplete. It fails to give useful, actionable guidance on the most crucial thing; namely what to do.

Exactly what I was going to say. But it's important enough to second it.

tom-864693
tom-864693
Old Hand
Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)Old Hand (319 reputation)

No article on this topic is complete without a link to the famous xkcd cartoon on this subject ("Exploits of a Mom").
https://xkcd.com/327/
Phil Factor
Phil Factor
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Yes, I became so interested in the family names that were valid SQL that the editorial was already a bit lengthy, so I didn't mention the obvious panacea of parameterizing the query. Sorry about that!

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
RonKyle
RonKyle
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

parameterizing the query

Would that alone do it? Because if so, I have nothing to be concerned about. There are also other indirect safeguards in my design. Primarily is that I never use the dbo schema anymore, though it still exists in older designs. This prevents simply using a table name. The tables also have FK constraints. These would prohibit them simply being truncated per your example, although I know there are other possible bad requests.

Phil Factor
Phil Factor
SSCoach

You're correct, Users should never be able to access the base tables directly at all, and all calls to the database must be parameterised. Basically, although I believe that the presentation layer should do its own checking as well, the safest course for the database designer and developer is to assume that the user has console access to SQL Server. In a badly-written application things are almost like that. If the users get any freedom to execute SQL Statements, there is a danger that they can escalate their permissions if everything isn't nailed do. As far as database defense against SQL Injection goes, I reckon that the article I wrote Schema-Based Access Control for SQL Server Databases is relevant. Even with schema-based security, though, there are still risks of SQL Injection, especially if SQL Server is badly configured.(See Windows privilege escalation script PowerUp by Will Schroeder).

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.