SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Always on setup in 2012 with one of the nodes with a different SQL (minor) version

Always on setup in 2012 with one of the nodes with a different SQL (minor) version

Author
SQLCurious
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
SQL Server version 11.0.3460.0 and SQL Server version 11.0.3153.0

Hello,

We have an "Always On" setup with Node-1 and Node-2 (with synhronous commit) in our primary location and Node-3 in a DR location (with asynhronous commit). This whole setup is using SQL Server 2012 servers. While Node-1 and Node-2 are on version 11.0.3460.0, Node-3 is on 11.0.3153.0. The service pack update was somehow missed on Node-3, apparently. Now we have a DR exercise coming up tomorrow night and we are expected to make Node-03 primary and leave it there for 3 to 4 days. Our previous attempts to check this setup ran successfully although we only did sanity tests and swung right back to make Node-1 primary. Unfortunately we do not have downtime to apply the patch on Node-3 to bring all SQL server minor versions on par. What risks should I be anticipating with this setup? If anyone else here had similar experience, I would appreciate if you could share it.

Sincerely,
SQLCurious
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (210K reputation)SSC Guru (210K reputation)SSC Guru (210K reputation)SSC Guru (210K reputation)SSC Guru (210K reputation)SSC Guru (210K reputation)SSC Guru (210K reputation)SSC Guru (210K reputation)

SQLCurious - Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:29 AM
SQL Server version 11.0.3460.0 and SQL Server version 11.0.3153.0

Hello,

We have an "Always On" setup with Node-1 and Node-2 (with synhronous commit) in our primary location and Node-3 in a DR location (with asynhronous commit). This whole setup is using SQL Server 2012 servers. While Node-1 and Node-2 are on version 11.0.3460.0, Node-3 is on 11.0.3153.0. The service pack update was somehow missed on Node-3, apparently. Now we have a DR exercise coming up tomorrow night and we are expected to make Node-03 primary and leave it there for 3 to 4 days. Our previous attempts to check this setup ran successfully although we only did sanity tests and swung right back to make Node-1 primary. Unfortunately we do not have downtime to apply the patch on Node-3 to bring all SQL server minor versions on par. What risks should I be anticipating with this setup? If anyone else here had similar experience, I would appreciate if you could share it.

Sincerely,
SQLCurious

You had time to apply to node 1 and 2, but not node 3??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
sgmunson
sgmunson
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)

I have to agree with Perry. I would NOT risk using the results of this DR exercise to make any kind of business decision, even if the result is successful, without first upgrading Node 3 to the same patch level as nodes 1 and 2. If you do proceed, and I was a manager above you, I'd want the DR exercise re-run after the Node 3 upgrade.

Steve
‌(aka sgmunson)
Smile Smile Smile
Health & Nutrition
SQLCurious
SQLCurious
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Perry & sgmunson,

This was done by another groups which apparently missed it out. Thankfully our DR drill was postponed by a week, so we had enough time to bring node-3 on par with the other nodes.

SQLCurious
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.