SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Abolish Disjointed Time

Abolish Disjointed Time

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Abolish Disjointed Time

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Sean Redmond
Sean Redmond
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have mixed opinions about daylight savings time.
I grew up in Ireland and Ireland is continually overcast. As a child going to school in the mornings, I really appreciated the extra hour of brightness that daylight savings time afforded.
It's the same with the car-lights, it makes a difference in the morning when it is dark outside.
Now, as a parent, daylight savings time is a nuisance. I have a child who doesn't adjust well (although it improves with age) with to the sudden change in the clock and it requires that we phase him in a week or so beforehand.
All in all, I wouldn't object to daylight savings time being abolished, but I do remember fondly the benefits it brought.
funbi
funbi
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

Sean Redmond - Thursday, March 8, 2018 1:13 AM
I have mixed opinions about daylight savings time.
I grew up in Ireland and Ireland is continually overcast. As a child going to school in the mornings, I really appreciated the extra hour of brightness that daylight savings time afforded.
It's the same with the car-lights, it makes a difference in the morning when it is dark outside.
Now, as a parent, daylight savings time is a nuisance. I have a child who doesn't adjust well (although it improves with age) with to the sudden change in the clock and it requires that we phase him in a week or so beforehand.
All in all, I wouldn't object to daylight savings time being abolished, but I do remember fondly the benefits it brought.

One of the proposals is to keep DST permanently and abolish "normal" time. So you get the benefits of extra daylight but no more clock changes.

John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)

funbi - Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:44 AM

One of the proposals is to keep DST permanently and abolish "normal" time. So you get the benefits of extra daylight but no more clock changes.

Yes, I've heard that proposed as well. Note that you don't get any "extra" daylight, though: you get the same amount of daylight but at a slightly different time of day.

John

John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)SSC Guru (131K reputation)

There have been studies that show the change doesn't help with power, and it's certainly disruptive to everyone.

I'm not so sure it is. Nobody I know struggles with it, even if some do have to rely on the "spring forward, fall back" mnemonic.

I know it seems a percentage of people are always confused and either arrive early or late every year (or twice a year) when the clocks change.

Really? That seems like the grown-up version of the "dog ate my homework" excuse. There's less reason these days for it to happen: most people have an automatically updating clock on their phone, DAB radio and/or other devices.

I'm of the opinion that we shoudl do away with DST. I get a double whammy every year the I work for a company in the UK and the US changes clocks at a different time.

Yes, that is a bit annoying. It was OK until President Bush changed the US daylight saving dates about 12 years ago. That was to do with saving energy, if I remember correctly.

There are also the adjustments to body clocks that likely slow our work and study habits.

Do people really get (the equivalent of) jetlag with a single-hour time change? I've never suffered from that. But I do look forward to the extra hour in the weekend in the autumn and feel cheated about the short weekend in the spring!

From a data perspective, the adjustments can cause issues with reporting and tracking data. Having an hour essentially repeat itself can distort any aggregation over that time period. Likewise losing an hour, especially if we use left joins to ensure each time period has a value, can look funny. I know the data issues aren't likely a big deal, after all, how much data does your company gather in the middle of Saturday night a couple times a year? Most reports probably don't bother to account for the discrepencies, and there don't seem to have been any issues I've seen from organizations. It's annoying to me as a data person, but it's probably not a significant issue.

Yes, I agree. It happens when most people are asleep, and organisations have decades of experience of dealing with it.

Ultimately I think DST is just a little silly in this modern world, where specific times, especially daylight time, seems to be less of an issue. I work when I need to, take time off when I can, and it seems more and more companies do the same thing. Whether I go to work in the light or dark, the days are shorter in the winter.

Yes, but not everybody's that lucky. Many people work fixed shifts. And of course millions of children have to get to and from school every day. I've heard arguments that it's safer for that to happen during daylight. That sounds as if it ought to be true, although I don't know whether or not the accident figures back it up.

John

funbi
funbi
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

John Mitchell-245523 - Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:13 AM

Yes, I've heard that proposed as well. Note that you don't get any "extra" daylight, though: you get the same amount of daylight but at a slightly different time of day.

John

Ok well I'm not going to get into a semantic/pedantic argument about it but I think it is quite obvious what my meaning was, as well as the meaning the phrase "extra hours of daylight" in the original post.

John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSC Guru

funbi - Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:41 AM

John

Ok well I'm not going to get into a semantic/pedantic argument about it but I think it is quite obvious what my meaning was, as well as the meaning the phrase "extra hours of daylight" in the original post.

OK, fair enough. But the issue is that (for many, if not most, people) in summer it is indeed a benefit, whereas in winter it isn't because it gets light too late in the morning. That's why we have DST in the first place.

John

funbi
funbi
SSCarpal Tunnel

John Mitchell-245523 - Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:52 AM
funbi - Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:41 AM

John

OK, fair enough. But the issue is that (for many, if not most, people) in summer it is indeed a benefit, whereas in winter it isn't because it gets light too late in the morning. That's why we have DST in the first place.

John

Thank you for explaining what DST is and why we have it.

archie flockhart
archie flockhart
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

John Mitchell-245523 - Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:30 AM

Yes, but not everybody's that lucky. Many people work fixed shifts. And of course millions of children have to get to and from school every day. I've heard arguments that it's safer for that to happen during daylight. That sounds as if it ought to be true, although I don't know whether or not the accident figures back it up.

John

Haven't had to deal with this myself, but DST must complicate fixed shifts as well ? (If you're on shift from midnight till 8am when the clocks go back, do you work 9 hours ? You wouldn't necessarily get the hour off again when they go forward, as it may be someone else's rota on nights.)

The really messy one I've come across is working across two offices in the northern and southern hemispheres; changing to DST on different dates and in different directions.

James Mezei
James Mezei
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)

Much of our thoughts may be shaped by geography yes how far north or south we live from the equator - from a data point of view changing the clocks useless - from a human living point of view, being in the North I appreciate the longer evening in the brief summer we have but at the same time appreciate it not being pitch dark when travelling to and from work for more than 8 weeks a year.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.