SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Is there an end-to-end Data Warehousing to Reporting project available to follow and learn?

Is there an end-to-end Data Warehousing to Reporting project available to follow and learn?

Author
chocthree
Old Hand
Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all,
I work in Business Intelligence and have worked with many different vendor's technologies doing odd jobs. To learn these different technologies I simply surfed the net and grabbed examples from there, a bit piecemeal. My projects have dried up for a good time now so I feel it's time to move on. To build my abilities to a level that may be needed elsewhere I would like to work on an advanced end-to-end project that details the concepts (and examples!!) on how to take data from an pre-built OLTP system and build a Data Warehouse and then build a cube on top of that. An extra bonus would be the reporting side too.
Is there a book or videos out there that will provide me with a good, in-depth project to follow, and with the examples to follow so I can actually I've build a full end-to-end BI solution? Maybe something that uses the Adventure Works database as that hold a large volume of data? Understanding the concepts is the most important thing for me as I can learn how to use a tool (MS tool) to complete each step. I just need to know what I'm doing is the correct approach to give me confidence to move on.
Many thanks.
Paulo de Jesus
Paulo de Jesus
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)

I think one of the closest end to end examples you're going to find is probably the AdventureWorks databases and cubes that can be downloaded from Microsoft.
A lot of the learning material uses these databases.
Can't think of any other examples that are as "complete"
I will try and find some links for you
Paulo de Jesus
Paulo de Jesus
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)Say Hey Kid (670 reputation)

From a dimensional modelling and data warehouse design aspect, I'd read up as much as possible about the Kimball methodology:
https://www.kimballgroup.com/
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/microsoft-business-intelligence-and-data-warehousing/2012/04/08/the-kimball-approach/

Tutorial for SSAS:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/multidimensional-modeling-adventure-works-tutorial

Tutorial for PowerBI:
https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/blob/master/articles/sql-data-warehouse/sql-data-warehouse-get-started-visualize-with-power-bi.md
chocthree
chocthree
Old Hand
Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)Old Hand (372 reputation)

Thanks Paulo.
Yes, I see Kimball (Data Warehousing Toolkit) is mentioned a lot. Maybe the MS version of the book is what I need to give me that end-to-end knowledge I seek.
Was wondering if there are some videos too to watch so to learn visually as it gets me engaged more.
Thanks again.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.