SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Is learning Python/R an advantage for SQL Server Developers? Need an expert advice.

Is learning Python/R an advantage for SQL Server Developers? Need an expert advice.

Author
Vivek Grover
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello Guys,

Is it time for SQL Server Developers to start learning R/Python to excel in their career? Expert advice needed.

=============================================
Best Regards,
Vivek Grover
CodePicks - https://codepicks.wordpress.com//

Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)

GroverVivek - Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:50 AM
Hello Guys,

Is it time for SQL Server Developers to start learning R/Python to excel in their career? Expert advice needed.

As these are now baked in to 2017, I'd say that it is a good idea. Whether you need learn both is a different question ... personally, I'd go with Python only.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (731K reputation)SSC Guru (731K reputation)SSC Guru (731K reputation)SSC Guru (731K reputation)SSC Guru (731K reputation)SSC Guru (731K reputation)SSC Guru (731K reputation)SSC Guru (731K reputation)

You should be learning constantly. Whether it's R or Python (I prefer R) for data work that can't easily be done in the DB engine, or Powershell/Bash for automation, or U-SQL if you work with 'big data' or.... is up to you

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

xsevensinzx
xsevensinzx
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

In general, they're good to learn because they are popular, they are on the rise, and they mostly deal with data.

If you will actually use it in the work place is up to the business. A lot of companies that are Microsoft shops may lean away from it still and lean more towards .NET, Powershell and so forth regardless if SQL Server or Visual Studio support it and the resources have been using it with the tech for years. But, there are some that do embrace it because it's needed for analytics/data science as well cheaper to develop in (i.e.: Python was originally for prototyping and thus is faster to develop apps in than .NET)

Personally, I think you should. I use Python every day with SQL Server and especially Azure. The cloud and advanced analytics is on the rise and it has the most need for Python for automation and even data pipelines. Python specially is great for converting R scripts into automated applications that can be injected right into the heart of your SQL Server as well other enterprise applications you may be developing in other languages.

Python is more of a need for you than R because R is domain specific and really is not much use to you from a SQL Developer standpoint. Python is better for actual development, ETL, API's, apps, and especially automation and even maintenance.
Chris Harshman
Chris Harshman
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

SQL Server Developer is such a broad title, that it's really impossible to tell, as that role will vary from company to company. I'd suggest it's important to understand how each is used with SQL Server, but if your role doesn't fit the purpose of the language then it doesn't make sense to learn it.
Revenant
Revenant
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

Learning Python as a language is easy, if you have any experience with programming languages. The trick is that there are 6,300 published Python libraries. Spending 10 minutes on each to find what it can do for you is a full time two years job. (If you can remember the first library after you examine the last one, otherwise you could start over.)
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (677K reputation)SSC Guru (677K reputation)SSC Guru (677K reputation)SSC Guru (677K reputation)SSC Guru (677K reputation)SSC Guru (677K reputation)SSC Guru (677K reputation)SSC Guru (677K reputation)

Hello Guys,

Heh... yes... but only if they actually know T-SQL very well first. Wink Many people fall way short in that area and then resort to other things to try to make up for their lack of knowledge in T-SQL because they frequently don't even know IF T-SQL is capable of doing something.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
jonathan.crawford
jonathan.crawford
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, January 24, 2018 12:51 PM
Hello Guys,

Heh... yes... but only if they actually know T-SQL very well first. Wink Many people fall way short in that area and then resort to other things to try to make up for their lack of knowledge in T-SQL because they frequently don't even know IF T-SQL is capable of doing something.

Yes, but.

Different tools do different things. I like to use R for some visualizations that SSRS doesn't do well for me, also keep trying to dream up new ways to visualize existing data for others to get better use out of it, and R has a lot of capability for a pretty low learning curve. Also a lot of depth if you want to apply statistical analysis and understand how to do it properly (not necessarily me, but always trying to learn more)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)SSC Guru (170K reputation)

jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, January 24, 2018 1:06 PM
Jeff Moden - Wednesday, January 24, 2018 12:51 PM

Yes, but.
Different tools do different things. I like to use R for some visualizations that SSRS doesn't do well for me, also keep trying to dream up new ways to visualize existing data for others to get better use out of it, and R has a lot of capability for a pretty low learning curve. Also a lot of depth if you want to apply statistical analysis and understand how to do it properly (not necessarily me, but always trying to learn more)

Valid point, but I can't see how this negates Jeff's comment in any way.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
jonathan.crawford
jonathan.crawford
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Because I don't have to know T-SQL inside out and upside down in order to use R for something that SQL won't even do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.