SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSISDB Owner

SSISDB Owner

Author
Shaira
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello experts!
My company is finally moving from SQL 2005 to SQL 2016. Lots of changes to learn, but I'm curious about who the owner of the SSISDB should be. I created the catalog while I was logged in as me - so it has me as the owner. I'm sure that's not best practice, but I'm wondering if it should be SQL agent, or maybe SSIS. I plan to deploy and run my SSIS packages from the Agent, but having no experience with SSISDB I'm not sure who the owner should be. My databases are owned by sa, just not sure how, or if the owner affects how jobs are run in production. Or if I should treat the SSISDB the same as all databases and assign sa as owner.
I look forward to your suggestions! Thanks!
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)

Shaira - Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:56 AM
Or if I should treat the SSISDB the same as all databases and assign sa as owner.

^^This.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Subramaniam Chandrasekar
Subramaniam Chandrasekar
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Shaira - Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:56 AM
Hello experts!
My company is finally moving from SQL 2005 to SQL 2016. Lots of changes to learn, but I'm curious about who the owner of the SSISDB should be. I created the catalog while I was logged in as me - so it has me as the owner. I'm sure that's not best practice, but I'm wondering if it should be SQL agent, or maybe SSIS. I plan to deploy and run my SSIS packages from the Agent, but having no experience with SSISDB I'm not sure who the owner should be. My databases are owned by sa, just not sure how, or if the owner affects how jobs are run in production. Or if I should treat the SSISDB the same as all databases and assign sa as owner.
I look forward to your suggestions! Thanks!

It would be same as DB owner and members role as far as I'm aware. SSIS_Admin will have admin access on SSIS DB and SSIS member will have member level access on SSIS DB. Anyway we can wait for our experts to comment BigGrinBigGrin

Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)SSC Guru (207K reputation)

subramaniam.chandrasekar - Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:28 AM

It would be same as DB owner and members role as far as I'm aware. SSIS_Admin will have admin access on SSIS DB and SSIS member will have member level access on SSIS DB. Anyway we can wait for our experts to comment BigGrinBigGrin

So ... you are suggesting that the DB owner for SSISDB should be the same as ... erm ... the DB owner. Not sure what you mean by that.

SSIS admin is granted via a database role within SSISDB, not via DB owner.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.