SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Level 1: An Introduction to Row-Level Security

Level 1: An Introduction to Row-Level Security

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Level 1: An Introduction to Row-Level Security

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
HappyGeek
HappyGeek
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice simple easy to follow article, thank you Steve. Just one observation; where is the link to your sample code?

Fat Uncle Dan
Fat Uncle Dan
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

From Article:
These are the 3 rows with SalesPersonID = 1. The second result set shows 2 rows, each of these with SalesPersonID = 2. This second query was executed as sjones.

From the data, it seems that the 3 rows is where SalesPersonID = 2 and the 2 rows where SalesPersonID = 1. Or am I missing something obvious here?
Chris Stater
Chris Stater
Old Hand
Old Hand (332 reputation)Old Hand (332 reputation)Old Hand (332 reputation)Old Hand (332 reputation)Old Hand (332 reputation)Old Hand (332 reputation)Old Hand (332 reputation)Old Hand (332 reputation)

Fat Uncle Dan - Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:47 AM
From Article:
These are the 3 rows with SalesPersonID = 1. The second result set shows 2 rows, each of these with SalesPersonID = 2. This second query was executed as sjones.

From the data, it seems that the 3 rows is where SalesPersonID = 2 and the 2 rows where SalesPersonID = 1. Or am I missing something obvious here?

I noticed the same thing. I don't think you are missing anything, just a typo.
Randy
Randy
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

We have one application with a poorly performing security implementation. Does anybody have any guidance on the performance impact of RLS on a query? Is it easy to avoid or mitigate performance issues?

Randy
Helpdesk: Perhaps Im not the only one that does not know what you are doing. ;-)
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)SSC Guru (594K reputation)

cstater - Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:51 AM
Fat Uncle Dan - Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:47 AM
From Article:

I noticed the same thing. I don't think you are missing anything, just a typo.

typo. Corrected.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

rstone - Thursday, December 28, 2017 10:36 AM
We have one application with a poorly performing security implementation. Does anybody have any guidance on the performance impact of RLS on a query? Is it easy to avoid or mitigate performance issues?

This is a function, really a CROSS APPLY type function added to your queries. If there are indexes, I wouldn't expect there to be much impact from normal query performance. However, YMMV. I'd certainly like to see more people test this at higher scales with specific queries.

If we can get this site upgraded to 2017, I'd like to implement some RLS just to see.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Code now attached at the bottom of the article.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.