SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How do I log into SSMS v17 on a home network?

How do I log into SSMS v17 on a home network?

Author
Rod Falanga
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I've got SSMS v17 installed on a new laptop. And I've got SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition on a desktop that I'd like to access from my laptop. I tried the normal AD method, but that doesn't work. How do I go about doing this, please?

Rod
Thom A
Thom A
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

Do you actually have a domain at home, or are you using workgroups?

Thom~
Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does :-P

Please always remember to encapsulate your code in IFCode Markup. For example [code=sql] [/code].
Click here to read Jeffs Guide on how to post SQL questions, and get swift and helpful answers from the community
HappyGeek
HappyGeek
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

One method, if it is a workgroup and assuming it is the default instance, is to use SQL authentication; you will need to configure Windows Firewall to allow incoming connections (private ONLY) to the port on which SQL is listening and make sure that the SQL Browser service is running.

Andreas Kreuzberg
Andreas Kreuzberg
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)

Hi,
are there some ERROR?
Are you able to ping the SLQ Server / Instance?
Are you able to check telenet with the instance port ?
Are you using static or dynamic TCP/IP ports on the sql server?
Kind regards,
Andreas
Rod Falanga
Rod Falanga
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Thom A - Friday, December 1, 2017 12:44 AM

Just a workgroup.

Rod
HappyGeek
HappyGeek
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

If it is a named instance use the port number too, do not forget to enable all ip addresses in SQL Configuration Management. Have you set up an SQL account with appropriate rights?

Thom A
Thom A
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

Doctor Who 2 - Sunday, December 3, 2017 10:29 AM

Just a workgroup.

If it's a workgroup, I don't think you can use AD for other desktops. With SSRS you can get around it by having a user with the same username and password, however, can a SSMS I'm pretty confident in saying it uses the SID of the user, which'll be different on the 2 PC's (even if they have the same username and password).

You'll likely need to use SQL Authentication to connect from other environments other than the Host Machine. (Of course, I'm happy for someone to prove me wrong).

Thom~
Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does :-P

Please always remember to encapsulate your code in IFCode Markup. For example [code=sql] [/code].
Click here to read Jeffs Guide on how to post SQL questions, and get swift and helpful answers from the community
HappyGeek
HappyGeek
SSCoach

Thom A - Sunday, December 3, 2017 11:46 AM
Doctor Who 2 - Sunday, December 3, 2017 10:29 AM

Just a workgroup.

If it's a workgroup, I don't think you can use AD for other desktops. With SSRS you can get around it by having a user with the same username and password, however, can a SSMS I'm pretty confident in saying it uses the SID of the user, which'll be different on the 2 PC's (even if they have the same username and password).

You'll likely need to use SQL Authentication to connect from other environments other than the Host Machine. (Of course, I'm happy for someone to prove me wrong).

Thom is right, you will need to use SQL Authentication and ensure that the sever is configured for remote connections. If you are using Windows Firewall you will also need to allow incoming connections on the port, which if it is default will be 1433. Ensure also that the browser service is installed and running, I think Thom was going to mention that too.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (619K reputation)SSC Guru (619K reputation)SSC Guru (619K reputation)SSC Guru (619K reputation)SSC Guru (619K reputation)SSC Guru (619K reputation)SSC Guru (619K reputation)SSC Guru (619K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I usually open the firewall for 1433 on VMs/other machines. I do this with
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server" dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=1433

Make sure that you also enable remote connections from your SQL Server. Use SQL auth.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Rod Falanga
Rod Falanga
SSCertifiable

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, December 4, 2017 9:26 AM
I usually open the firewall for 1433 on VMs/other machines. I do this with
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server" dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=1433

Make sure that you also enable remote connections from your SQL Server. Use SQL auth.

How do I enable remote connections to SQL Server Developer Edition on desktop PC at home? I thought it would be done using the SQL Server Configuration manager, but that failed for me. I got the following error message:

Rod
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.