SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Date Search

Date Search

Author
VegasL
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I have in a data row: column [date] 2017-11-06 01:17:34.000

I only want to search for values if the year is 2015. How do I do this?

where [date] like '%2015" ?
Eirikur Eiriksson
Eirikur Eiriksson
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (156K reputation)SSC Guru (156K reputation)SSC Guru (156K reputation)SSC Guru (156K reputation)SSC Guru (156K reputation)SSC Guru (156K reputation)SSC Guru (156K reputation)SSC Guru (156K reputation)

VegasL - Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:44 PM
Hi,

This is a datetime value, neither a string nor date value, constrain the search accordingly, i.e.
WHERE [date] > CONVERT(DATEDIME,'2014-12-31 23:59',126)
AND [date] < CONVERT(DATEDIME,'2016-01-01 00:00',126)

Cool

drew.allen
drew.allen
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)

Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, November 12, 2017 2:57 AM
VegasL - Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:44 PM
Hi,

This is a datetime value, neither a string nor date value, constrain the search accordingly, i.e.
WHERE [date] > CONVERT(DATEDIME,'2014-12-31 23:59',126)
AND [date] < CONVERT(DATEDIME,'2016-01-01 00:00',126)

Cool

This will include records that you don't want to include. When using date ranges, you should be using half-closed intervals. Most people use closed intervals, but this goes to the other extreme and uses open intervals. Neither is correct for most uses. Specifically, this method will include dates between 2014-12-31 23:59:00.003 and 2014-12-31 23:59:59.997 that you do not want to include. The correct formulation is as follows.

WHERE [date] >= CAST('2015-01-01' AS DATETIME)
AND [date] < CAST('2016-01-01' AS DATETIME)

Drew

J. Drew Allen
Business Intelligence Analyst
Philadelphia, PA
How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help.
How to Post Performance Problems
Make sure that you include code in the appropriate IFCode tags, e.g. [code=sql]<your code here>[/code]. You can find the IFCode tags under the INSERT options when you are writing a post.
gvoshol 73146
gvoshol 73146
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Of course the absolute easiest way of doing it is
WHERE YEAR([date]) = 2015

But that's not sargable. It doesn't matter if you're looking at only a few thousand rows in your table. But if your table has hundreds of thousands or millions of rows, then performance will suffer greatly.
drew.allen
drew.allen
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)

gvoshol 73146 - Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:35 AM

But that's not sargable. It doesn't matter if you're looking at only a few thousand rows in your table. But if your table has hundreds of thousands or millions of rows, then performance will suffer greatly.

I would argue that it does matter. There is an adage that "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." This is very applicable to this situation, because using the SARGable method plans for growth, whereas the non-SARGable method does not.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
Philadelphia, PA
Make sure that you include code in the appropriate IFCode tags, e.g. [code=sql]<your code here>[/code]. You can find the IFCode tags under the INSERT options when you are writing a post.
gvoshol 73146
gvoshol 73146
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

drew.allen - Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:50 AM

I would argue that it does matter. There is an adage that "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." This is very applicable to this situation, because using the SARGable method plans for growth, whereas the non-SARGable method does not.

Drew

I should have been more precise in my wording.
"If you have a lower number of records, and you KNOW the number of records will not be increasing significantly, then you can use a non-Sargable function."

drew.allen
drew.allen
SSC Guru

gvoshol 73146 - Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:08 AM

Drew

"If you have a lower number of records, and you KNOW the number of records will not be increasing significantly, then you can use a non-Sargable function."

You may be aware of the trade offs and willing to sacrifice performance in a given situation, but another person may not and may come along and copy your code where the performance loss is not acceptable.

Also, it's highly unlikely that, when working with dates, the number of records will not be increasing significantly.

Laziness is not an acceptable excuse for sacrificing performance.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
Philadelphia, PA
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (859K reputation)SSC Guru (859K reputation)SSC Guru (859K reputation)SSC Guru (859K reputation)SSC Guru (859K reputation)SSC Guru (859K reputation)SSC Guru (859K reputation)SSC Guru (859K reputation)

drew.allen - Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:30 AM
gvoshol 73146 - Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:08 AM

Drew

You may be aware of the trade offs and willing to sacrifice performance in a given situation, but another person may not and may come along and copy your code where the performance loss is not acceptable.

Also, it's highly unlikely that, when working with dates, the number of records will not be increasing significantly.

Laziness is not an acceptable excuse for sacrificing performance.

Drew

+1000000 to that!!! If you "practice" doing it the wrong way, you'll never get good at doing it the right way.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.