SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How Far are You Willing To Go To Get Something?

How Far are You Willing To Go To Get Something?

Author
bkubicek
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item How Far are You Willing To Go To Get Something?
Sean Redmond
Sean Redmond
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

I'd rather cue outside a record shop from midnight and know I'd get a coveted concert ticket when the shop opened in the morning than desperately try to buy said ticket in the first 3 seconds of it being on sale on TicketMaster, only to find myself being forwarded to SeatWave where I have the honour of buying the ticket at many times' the original price.

(BTW, why do I get a red wavy underline for the word 'honour'? Does this site prefer U.S. spelling?)
chrisn-585491
chrisn-585491
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)

Depends on the circumstances professional and personally.

I'm not one to stand in line at midnight for a optional consumer item that I can purchase at a later time. I will get up earlier to get my automobile serviced on a weekend or to avoid the crowds at the grocery store. As far a professionally, I've committed plenty of extra money and time on training, books and projects that weren't necessarily required, but helped later. Stayed late or came in on Saturday to help clients and coworkers. Covered Y2K at New Years just to make managers happy.

Personally I'm learning two new programming languages and some tricky math just to play with a home brew data radio system. It's more challenging and beautiful than my normal ETL tasks at work. It has personal meaning beyond the paycheck.
qbrt
qbrt
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)

haha..good story about NES mini.

At the stage of my life, I would never do this for a consumer product that will become available after several weeks anyway. But to make sure I have the item for my kids on a specific day (b-day, x-mas), I'd do it in a heartbeat. Smile

Funny, I'm going through a similar experience right now for one of my sons with the Intel i7-8700K CPU chip. Crazyness. It's his x-max present. I still don't have one.. haha.. he may have to deal with a card and a picture of it on it.
Rod
Rod
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

I am willing to do a lot. I've been in my current job for about 2.5 years. They don't pay for training, going to to conferences, etc. They haven't paid for training of any sort of decades. And the state of software around here unfortunately shows it. But because of what I learned from my previous unemployment, I know that training is vital. So I pay for my own Pluralsight subscription. I also download Channel 9 videos, Microsoft Virtual Academy and any others I can get my hands onto. Because I have a long commute I download training courses onto my laptop and watch them there there. I've probably taken about 25 courses this way. Unfortunately, I have very little opportunity to use any of it here, due to most systems being so old. But I'm sure that some day I'll be able to use them.

Kindest Regards,Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
HappyGeek
HappyGeek
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)

Rod at work - Monday, October 30, 2017 8:40 AM
I am willing to do a lot. I've been in my current job for about 2.5 years. They don't pay for training, going to to conferences, etc. They haven't paid for training of any sort of decades. And the state of software around here unfortunately shows it. But because of what I learned from my previous unemployment, I know that training is vital. So I pay for my own Pluralsight subscription. I also download Channel 9 videos, Microsoft Virtual Academy and any others I can get my hands onto. Because I have a long commute I download training courses onto my laptop and watch them there there. I've probably taken about 25 courses this way. Unfortunately, I have very little opportunity to use any of it here, due to most systems being so old. But I'm sure that some day I'll be able to use them.

Respect for the dedication and commitment, you have it right! Keep learning and striving, MVA is a good source imho. Sometimes it is possible to feel the road has turned into a dust track and the way is lost. How far would I go now? Think I need inspiration for that. NB no learning is wasted.

phonetictalk
phonetictalk
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Great editorial. The story really brought it to life, and I was chuckling to myself while reading it.

Leonard
Madison, WI
bkubicek
bkubicek
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Ben
xsevensinzx
xsevensinzx
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

How far am I willing to go? Well, similar to your NES Classic example, I saw Capcom was re-releasing the 1990's nostalgia-fueled special edition of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior on the SNES Classic. It's an actual, working Super Nintendo cartridge (that may or may not catch fire and burn my house down). There are two variants of this cartridge: one in "Opaque Ryu Headband Red" and the other in "Glow in the Dark Blanka Green." The glowing cart is translucent in addition to luminescent. The red version is limited to 4,500 copies, while the glow in the dark variant is limited to just 1,000. And they're randomly inserted into the packages, too, so buying one is a bit of a roll of the dice.

So, I'm a huge Blanka fan and MUST HAVE THAT GREEN LIMITED cartridge. I dropped $100 on it and now praying I get randomly selected of the 1,000 to get it. If I don't, I would imagine I would do anything to get it. Smile
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (512K reputation)SSC Guru (512K reputation)SSC Guru (512K reputation)SSC Guru (512K reputation)SSC Guru (512K reputation)SSC Guru (512K reputation)SSC Guru (512K reputation)SSC Guru (512K reputation)

Heh... amazing. People keep coming out with articles about how far will you go to "learn something new". Your article struck a bit of a cord with me because people were actually waiting in line for something old but in a slightly different package. I don't find that to be true in the world of data. A lot of people are always looking for the next bright shinny object and will spend grand amounts of time learning that and say "it's an improvement"... without having learned what the old stuff they already have well enough to actually make that judgment. When the next shinny object comes out after that, they say "it's an improvement" and they still don't actually know if it is or not.

Someone needs to write an article about how far will you go to "learn something old that has always worked and continues to work"?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.