SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Table partitioning on Azure SQL Database (not sharding), I'm after a rolling/sliding window solution...

Table partitioning on Azure SQL Database (not sharding), I'm after a rolling/sliding window solution based on DateTime column.

Author
Duran
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello,

I hope someone can offer me some insight. I am looking to partition a large table, using a datetime column, in an Azure SQL Database. We do not want to use Sharding.

I have the first parts of creating a partition function and partition scheme, and only using the primary filegroup (because that is all you have in Azure SQL Database), I will be partitioning to the left.

I am not sure of the correct terminology either, I am seeing 'sliding windows', and 'rolling windows', are both of these the same as switching? Are they the same, and the terminology is used interchangeably, or are they different?
This article is the closest I can get to what I am after,...(might come in handy for someone else)

https://stackify.com/how-to-partition-tables-in-azure-sql/

...I wonder how different it is to implement partitioning on an Azure SQL Database, compared to partitioning on an Azure SQL Data Warehouse? I wonder if its basically the same, and therefore I can use articles on Azure Data Warehouse partitioning to help me out?

Any help or direction would be most appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Regards,
D.
ALZDBA
ALZDBA
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
First of all: the concepts: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/architecture/best-practices/data-partitioning

Did you have a look at : https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3494/azure-sql-database--table-partitioning/ ?

I haven't tested this on a Azure SQLDB, but this seems worth the try, since it also handles the trunctate of a partition ! (and is quiet recent ) https://stackify.com/how-to-partition-tables-in-azure-sql/

Don't start it if you don't master it !

Johan

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere w00t

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution :-D

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me Alien but most of the time this is me Hehe
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.