SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Teaching Quickly

Teaching Quickly

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Teaching Quickly

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Koisntantin Taranov
Koisntantin Taranov
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

Hi, Steve. Thanks for very interesting post.

Highly recommended for learning R right to read awesome free ebook: Efficient R programming (by Colin Gillespie, Robin Lovelace)
Because in my opinion main advantage of R language - its high performance. And this book learn you how to write efficiency , fast and structured R code. Dont spent time for tutorials and simple demo, this book very easy to read and learn. Number one.

Recommended spend 2 days to learn RStudio (the best free idea for R): https://bookdown.org/chesterismay/rbasics/3-rstudiobasics.html

Also you maybe will find some useful info in my favorite list R ebooks: https://github.com/ktaranov/AwesomeR#r-books (also awesome list here)
Nice online courses: https://www.datacamp.com/

call.copse
call.copse
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)

Such a buzz kill today Steve. That's the joy of being an experienced hand, being able to wax nostalgic about how hard it was for us when we had to learn stuff from like paper books and MAGAZINES gold darn it. You don't know how easy you got it these days etc etc.What's that, no-one cares? Mumble, mumble, bah.
robert.sterbal 56890
robert.sterbal 56890
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)

It seems from a quick read of this article that R may be better suited to your style.

https://qz.com/1063071/the-great-r-versus-python-for-data-science-debate/
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Python is polled as the most popular language and growing. I personally like it better.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
phonetictalk
phonetictalk
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

It is frustrating when you join an organization and everything is disorganized and chaotic. And you improve it substantially and make everything simpler & easier and remove the cruft. And then someone new comes along, and to them it's all disorganized and chaotic. And you just want to be like "Listen, I know there's some improvements that could still be made, but it's come a long way from when I started and you had to..."

So point taken Steve. Smile

Leonard
Madison, WI
Ryan Lambert
Ryan Lambert
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)

Well, when I was a kid....

This topic reminds me of week 1 of Calculus when we were forced to solve derivatives by hand. After hours of painful calculations, they show you the shorthand way of doing it that can be done in your head. Then, in the real world you use a calculator! Smile

That said, sometimes learning the hard way does help build important foundations of understanding the concepts at hand.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (380K reputation)SSC Guru (380K reputation)SSC Guru (380K reputation)SSC Guru (380K reputation)SSC Guru (380K reputation)SSC Guru (380K reputation)SSC Guru (380K reputation)SSC Guru (380K reputation)

When writing articles or even presentations, I've found that demonstrating a "bad" way saves on a huge number of questions (and, contrary to popular belief, there is such a thing as a bad question). It also causes people to sit up and pay attention because, a lot of times, I've done enough research to know what the most common bad ways of doing things are. It first captures the attention of people that use the bad way and it also kills their thoughts of "Well... we've always done it this way" or "Well... we've never done it that way before".

It's good for me, too! It keeps me from exploding when someone feels compelled to interrupt with a question wanting to know why I'm not using the "Best Practice" of using something like an rCTE to count.

One of the measures of a successful presentation seems to be "interaction from the class". I learned a long time ago that if that interaction is in the form of questions, then you might not actually be doing a good job as a teacher. That frequently means teaching the bad along with the good because <drumroll please>, much of the "class" is already using the bad methods and, even if they don't realize it, they're there to learn a better way. If they're a total newbie at what you're trying to teach, then they have also been educated as to what to watch for as a bad method in the future and can help spread the knowledge more quickly than any of us could ever do alone.

Heh... sometimes you do have to teach that the pan is hot and do it without burning the student.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.