SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Changing password of sa account and / or disabling the sa account -> SQL agent jobs

Changing password of sa account and / or disabling the sa account -> SQL agent jobs

Author
caz100
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi

I have some servers where sa account is enabled and seems to be connected internally. I have checked agent jobs and some jobs are owned by the sa account.

If I disable the sa account or change the password will these jobs still run? I do not know the current password for the sa account.

Thanks in Advance
andrew gothard
andrew gothard
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Yes,
if sa is disabled, sa owned jobs will run and sa owned databases will be accessible. SA is disabled on all our boxes at setup and we have no problems with sa ownership.
However, I wouldn't necessarily trust "Random Bod On The Internet", you should test it first to make sure you're happy to put the configuration live.

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
caz100
caz100
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)

@ thanks andrew gothard, that is what I thought. thanks for confirming.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)

Ownership doesn't require logging in. It's just about what security principal is associated with the job (or DB, or other things that can be owned)

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

RVSC48
RVSC48
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Just to add, as far as changing database owners, one thing we noticed when we changed the owner of the databases to 'sa', the previous owner which was removed as the owner also lost their rights to the database and had to be re-added to them. That may be something you may need to capture, if you change the database owners, prior to changing the owner, so you can apply them back if needed.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)SSC Guru (371K reputation)

For me that's one reason to have sa as the DB owner. So that I won't have any cases where logins have more rights than their assigned permissions state.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.