SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Career Bucket List

The Career Bucket List

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Career Bucket List

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Brent Ozar
Brent Ozar
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Awww, thanks sir!

Yeah, mine changed over time too. When I was in high school, I only had two written goals: own a 28' sailboat by the time I turned 28, and a 45' sailboat by the time I turned 45.

As I got older and sailed more, I realized...I love being on boats, but I don't really like the act of sailing/managing/owning a boat. I don't even wanna charter one - the responsibility is the opposite of what I'm looking for when it's time to unwind.

Same thing with owning the Audi RS6, too. Bought that and realized, "I really have nothing to do with a fast car right now." Downtown Chicago makes fast car ownership no fun whatsoever. (That doesn't mean I'm giving up the fast car ownership dream - I just need to change cities.) Hopefully we'll get out to San Diego in 2018.

jasona.work
jasona.work
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Brent, I wouldn't put the "owning a fast car" in the no fun category. Go looking around there's probably small race tracks where you can take it to do laps on the weekends. There's one near me I keep intending to take my "budget mid-life crisis car" to, but I've just not gotten around to it (Metro Detroit area.) I know at the one out here, they forbid *racing* the other cars on the track, so it's like a nice twisty freeway with courteous drivers, I would think.
As for the boat, the old saw applies:
The two happiest days in a mans life are; the day he buys his first boat and the day he sells the boat.

As for me, after reading the editorial I realized I'd hit one of my early years bucket list items without even realizing it, when I went into the $100K/yr+ salary range.

Maybe it's time for me (and the wife) to actually sit down and codify our bucket lists, both individually and as a couple.
Brent Ozar
Brent Ozar
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)Right there with Babe (741 reputation)

[quote]
jasona.work - Friday, August 25, 2017 6:26 AM
Brent, I wouldn't put the "owning a fast car" in the no fun category. Go looking around there's probably small race tracks where you can take it to do laps on the weekends.

Yeah, a friend of mine has a garage at the Autobahn Country Club here in Chicago, and he offered garage space. I'd be much more interested in that if I was just a little further out of town though - it's a solid hour each way, and I'm not a fan of driving in traffic. (sigh)

jay-h
jay-h
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)

When I was young, my goal was to get a new fast sports car. Now that I can afford it, my priorities have changed, I favor the older stuff. I have a few old Jeeps including a '47. Given a free choice, I'd still like to have a Morgan Plus 4 (any year), or even the retro Morgan three wheeler.

The career related 'bucket' items were projects that just happened to fall into my lap. I wound up designing and building components for the Chandra X-ray satellite and the Mars Phoenix lander scientific package. Looking back over my varied career, those are the two things that I am most pleased with.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
jasona.work
jasona.work
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Brent Ozar - Friday, August 25, 2017 6:34 AM
[quote]
jasona.work - Friday, August 25, 2017 6:26 AM
Brent, I wouldn't put the "owning a fast car" in the no fun category. Go looking around there's probably small race tracks where you can take it to do laps on the weekends.

Yeah, a friend of mine has a garage at the Autobahn Country Club here in Chicago, and he offered garage space. I'd be much more interested in that if I was just a little further out of town though - it's a solid hour each way, and I'm not a fan of driving in traffic. (sigh)

I understand that, having had to drive in Chicago traffic a couple years ago (once out of Chicago from near Union Station, then back in)
The track near me is also about an hour to get to, but the route to go is generally light traffic, compared to if I were going through Detroit to get to it.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)

jay-h - Friday, August 25, 2017 6:57 AM
When I was young, my goal was to get a new fast sports car. Now that I can afford it, my priorities have changed, I favor the older stuff. I have a few old Jeeps including a '47. Given a free choice, I'd still like to have a Morgan Plus 4 (any year), or even the retro Morgan three wheeler.

The career related 'bucket' items were projects that just happened to fall into my lap. I wound up designing and building components for the Chandra X-ray satellite and the Mars Phoenix lander scientific package. Looking back over my varied career, those are the two things that I am most pleased with.

Wow, very cool. I think anything working with science and software is pretty neat.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

I like driving, not racing. Punching the throttle and getting some acceleration, playing on curvy roads when I'm going somewhere. I wouldn't likely take hours at the track with a car, nor would I want a car just for that. That's why I sold the 911 and moved on. More interested in getting a couple cars and tinkering right now.

I do slightly regret not trying to drive in India. Those drivers are amazing.

Now to dig out the bucket lists and chat about them with my wife.

jay-h
jay-h
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)

[quote]
Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, August 25, 2017 7:31 AM
I like driving, not racing. Punching the throttle and getting some acceleration, playing on curvy roads when I'm going somewhere. I wouldn't likely take hours at the track with a car, nor would I want a car just for that. That's why I sold the 911 and moved on. More interested in getting a couple cars and tinkering right now.

One of my Jeeps gets used for challenging my skills. Negotiating a steep ravine can be adrenaline pumping at 4 mph. When I was out in Colorado, I took the "road" over Hurricane Pass -- white knuckle when you get to the part where the trail is a narrow two-track with mountain on one side and lots of open air on the other. Met a vehicle coming the other way, my wife had to stick her head out the window to let me know how close my tires were to the cliff.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
jasona.work
jasona.work
SSCoach

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, August 25, 2017 7:31 AM

I do slightly regret not trying to drive in India. Those drivers are amazing.

Now to dig out the bucket lists and chat about them with my wife.

I believe most of these track days are no racing, so it's legal driving fast on twisty routes.

Probably not as nice as taking a fun car and hitting something like the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina (much nicer scenery there, I'm sure,) but less likelihood of having to deal with chowder-heads and police...

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.