Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Detecting Issues

Detecting Issues

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Detecting Issues

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I guess it was always going to be difficult to collect statistics on the early captured defects. Especially when a fair number of them are communicated verbally and/or form part of a manual activity.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Sergiy
Sergiy
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)

Those potential issues that never get to the customer are wins for me, and I think this is something we should be proud of as software engineers and testers.

Software engineers are paid for fixing issues, and never - for absence of them.
And being proud - is not something what will pay your bill.

Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Sergiy - Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:34 AM
...Software engineers are paid for fixing issues, and never - for absence of them...

Not in my experience. Sounds like you need to experience better management.

Gaz

call.copse
call.copse
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Gary Varga - Wednesday, March 1, 2017 4:06 AM
Sergiy - Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:34 AM
...Software engineers are paid for fixing issues, and never - for absence of them...

Not in my experience. Sounds like you need to experience better management.

This did make me think a bit though - we'll be applauded for getting stuff out the door on time even if there are a few minor issues that need correction, often inevitable in any software release. I'm going to say there is perhaps less appreciation for the boring developers whose software doesn't ever create any kind of fuss, who can easily accommodate upgrade requirements etc. Having said that, it is my mantle and I wear it well!

Sergiy
Sergiy
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)

Oh, really?

How much did they pay you, say last month, for the software which you developed 5 years ago and which is working since then with no issues?

Ah, you probably never came across such software.
In hour experience.
:-)
call.copse
call.copse
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Sergiy - Wednesday, March 1, 2017 4:43 AM
Oh, really?How much did they pay you, say last month, for the software which you developed 5 years ago and which is working since then with no issues?Ah, you probably never came across such software.In hour experience.:-)

Hey, I get paid the same whatever work there is to be done. It's just that by not being embroiled in old issues and having happy customers, you're more likely to be elevated and be able to work on new and bigger projects.

robert.sterbal 56890
robert.sterbal 56890
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)

Measuring the number of defects where I work is fairly easy. Not so easy is to know how to compare those levels across projects, and how to measure technical debt.

There are some interesting thoughts here: https://techbeacon.com/what-makes-good-qa-tester-4-kpis-essential-software-testing
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSChampion

Sergiy - Wednesday, March 1, 2017 4:43 AM
Oh, really?How much did they pay you, say last month, for the software which you developed 5 years ago and which is working since then with no issues?Ah, you probably never came across such software.In hour experience.:-)

I am paid to deliver quality software. They wouldn't have me here, where I currently am, if I didn't.

I am just saying that my experience is different. It happens.

Gaz

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)

Ironically, the very techniques talked about in this article apparently haven't been exercised for the recent forum update and one of the most important parts of this site, the SQL Code windows, still doesn't work correctly. They still double-space and delete leading spaces if you copy and paste from SSMS. They still come up with all sorts of wonky colorization if you make a trip through NotePad (for example) to preserve the spaced indentation. What happened to test and UAT?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.