Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Power of the Data Model

The Power of the Data Model

Author
David.Poole
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Power of the Data Model

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Paul Hernández
Paul Hernández
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)SSC Veteran (218 reputation)

Hi David,
I fully agree with you. Models are the best way to communicate with business experts and also to make sure that we understand what we are doing. If someone cannot explain something in a simple way, let's say in a diagram in a piece of paper and in a couple of minutes, it is most likely that he doesn't understand what needs to be done.
Kind regards,
Paul

Paul Hernández
jbsedivy
jbsedivy
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

David,
Appreciate your insightful article. Would you be interested in posting a photo of the 15 circle diagram your friend gave you? When you say it is near the birth certificates of your children, that says "this is important." Learning from those who have preceded is a treasure. By the way, I began my "computing" days as a 10 or 11 year old on a Commodore 64, typing in code from RUN magazine. Still remember my first PC-compatible computer that my dad bought me, and how weird technology is that it cost as much as it did - 40MB HDD and all - and yet how much I learned.
Thanks for the wisdom and history of this post!
John from the US
Mike M - DBA2B
Mike M - DBA2B
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)

Great article, David!

I hope to reach the point where I can form such useful models. And, there's always something to be said about learning from a higher mind. I still have trouble slowing down my "Let's get from A to Z" brain just to express a plan in words that others can understand.

I wanna see that model! BigGrin

Kindest Regards,

Mike
AZJim
AZJim
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)

David ... I could heartily agree until I got to the part about the data model being owned by someone outside of IT. I believe that entities should be owned by organizations outside of IT, but not the data model. There is the notion of "system of record" where Department A owns entity "John" and Department B owns entity "Mary". If Department C comes along and wants to create "Fred", but Fred is basically the same as John, then you don't have to fight for what is right. Department A will do it for you and you can be the peacemaker showing Department C how to get to the data.
RonKyle
RonKyle
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Would you be interested in posting a photo of the 15 circle diagram your friend gave you?

Agreed. As interesting as I found the article, the lack of any kind of picture leaves it short, in my view. I can say after reading this that a good model is important, but I can't say after reading this that I have a picture of what you had in mind. It's not always a cliché that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Bill Talada
Bill Talada
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (573 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (573 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (573 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (573 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (573 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (573 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (573 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (573 reputation)

The 15 circles and relationships diagram makes perfect sense to me. My son and I have an ongoing joke that every training class, every conversation, every tutorial, all bypass step one which gives foundational understanding of the situation, grounding principles that one should return to time after time. For example I see programming as inputting text into a GUI and persisting it to disk. It is basically moving text around. The deeper we get into the internals of SQL Server the more we lose touch with reality and the purpose for the applications users are running.
David.Poole
David.Poole
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

[quote]
jbsedivy - Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:45 AM
Would you be interested in posting a photo of the 15 circle diagram your friend gave you?
I would have loved to show the diagram however I am not 100% sure about the rights to reproduce it are. It's a shame because it was quite skillful in circling most things back through entities called "Need" and "Customer" and that alone got the Pavlovian response from business managers.

I am still not sure whether it was a brilliantly expressed emphasis on our prime objectives or a cynical piece of NLP to get what the modeller wanted. Again, that uncertainty and the fact that it worked either way was part of the brilliance of the piece.

Oh, and I'll see your Commodore 64 and raise you one Vic20Wink

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
RonKyle
RonKyle
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

I would have loved to show the diagram however I am not 100% sure about the rights to reproduce it are.

If you paid the consultant to do the work, it's yours to do with as you please. If for some reason it is still uncertain, I will say again that some kind of diagram to illustrate an otherwise interesting article would be very helpful to understanding. The lack of some kind of illustration is a significant shortcoming.

rking 32202
rking 32202
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

No mean spirit intended, but I'm not a big fan of legends based on blind trust. I too made it through the article hoping to see some proof of the Great Modelling Allegory. But alas, just another story about what we all hoped could be shared, could be true, or not.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.