SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Possible to use merge replication to "sync" two servers

Possible to use merge replication to "sync" two servers

Author
jasona.work
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
My situation: I've got two servers, which due to a variety of not-really-good reasons went from being a new QA server and a new Production server, to two QA servers. The problem is, some people were doing work on the supposed-to-be-prod server (lets call it B) while others were working on the QA server (lets call it A.)

So, I now have databases with the same names, but differing schemas, tables, stored procedures, etc, and I need to put things the way they're supposed to be.

I'm wondering if I could use merge replication between these two servers to "sync" them up, at a minimum the schemas and tables, such that if there's a duplicate (IE both have a table MySchema.MyTable) NOTHING gets done, while a table "missing" from one server or the other gets replicated.
My thought is, once the replication completes, I turn it off, then the developers go through and clean things up.

My current servers both have SQL 2012 Enterprise Edition, on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I know I'm not looking to use merge replication in the manner to which it was intended, I'm just looking for a quick way to help people (and myself) dig ourselves out of mess that we got ourselves into...

Thanks,
Jason
jasona.work
jasona.work
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Never mind. I did what I should have done first and looked at the MSDN article on merge replication, it won't work for what I need.

Looks like we may be scripting out tables and such.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.