SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Two Things I Would Change in SSISDB Setup

Two Things I Would Change in SSISDB Setup

Author
bkubicek
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Two Things I Would Change in SSISDB Setup
nick.mcdermaid
nick.mcdermaid
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Great information - this kind of practical advice is much more valuable than your standard regurgitated walkthroughs. A bit off topic but long overdue for enhancement is the SQL Agent. Something as simple as folders would make management of this so much easier.
mtassin
mtassin
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

I completely agree... when I look at some of my jobs lists... I get lost trying to identify what I'm looking for.

Let's not even get into SSRS Subscription schedules.... Nothing like 500 jobs with nothing but a GUID for a name.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Iwas Bornready
Iwas Bornready
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)SSC Guru (58K reputation)

Thanks for the article.
ianrogerguy
ianrogerguy
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (142 reputation)

Hi,

The default 365 days is way too many once you have a busy server, i remember when i fell foul of that oneSad

to alter the retention period i use this method

EXEC catalog.configure_catalog RETENTION_WINDOW, 7;
GO

there is also this one for changing the max versions of a project.

EXEC catalog.configure_catalog MAX_PROJECT_VERSIONS, 4;
GO

Ian
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (153K reputation)SSC Guru (153K reputation)SSC Guru (153K reputation)SSC Guru (153K reputation)SSC Guru (153K reputation)SSC Guru (153K reputation)SSC Guru (153K reputation)SSC Guru (153K reputation)

Practical, useful information from the front lines. These settings are analog to setting Max Memory on a new instance. They certainly caught my team and I off guard when first implementing SSISDB. Thank you for sharing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
stan.geiger
stan.geiger
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (512 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (512 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (512 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (512 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (512 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (512 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (512 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (512 reputation)

This topic is one of the reasons in a presentation that I often do on the SSIS Catalog, I always begin with how to install the SSISDB and to reset the properties for retention. I make everybody in the room repeat it for emphasis.
mtassin
mtassin
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

And thanks to Ben for the tip about permissions.

In my environments we just blanket grant sa privileges for running the maintenance scripts like this and syspolicy_purge_history so it slipped by my attention.

I also quit worrying about setting the retention window once I moved to my script because I could just pass it in, and well it was just easier to pass it in.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
bkubicek
bkubicek
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)

Mark thanks again for writing your article and script. It has been very helpful to me.

Ben
Daario
Daario
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (796 reputation)Right there with Babe (796 reputation)Right there with Babe (796 reputation)Right there with Babe (796 reputation)Right there with Babe (796 reputation)Right there with Babe (796 reputation)Right there with Babe (796 reputation)Right there with Babe (796 reputation)

This is another thing you may want to do upon setup:

ALTER DATABASE [SSISDB] SET RECOVERY SIMPLE;

The transaction log can get a bit unruly, and Point-in-time recovery has limited usefulness in this database.

--
Winter is coming
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.