SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Powershell Tool Time: The Tool Framework

Powershell Tool Time: The Tool Framework

Author
sake.god
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Powershell Tool Time: The Tool Framework
Jon Lacey
Jon Lacey
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Do functions need to be stored in a specific location?
Kedazs
Kedazs
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (125 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (125 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (125 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (125 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (125 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (125 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (125 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (125 reputation)

This is great! I would love to start using powershell more!

Question - Do you need to load the function every powershell session? Or, can they be stored somewhere so they can be called easily?

Thanks!
sake.god
sake.god
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)

Thanks for the feedback. To answer both of your questions, there are a few ways to allow functions to be easily called. I will be covering them in upcoming articles, but the short answer is either your profile or a module.
rahul.me.sharma
rahul.me.sharma
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

@John Lacey

Function only remain active in your current session. If you plan to use a specific function frequently you can create a profile of your's and insert all the required functions in it. Every time you open the Powershell console all those functions will be loaded in your session.

@all
You can also try and feed the output to a grid using "| Out-GridView" at the end of the script to give it a more fancy look :-D
Jared Karney
Jared Karney
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Thanks for this series Mike! I look forward to it!

Thanks,
Jared
PFE - Microsoft
SQL Know-It-All
How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
robert.sterbal 56890
robert.sterbal 56890
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

I do remote support, so I'm guessing I'll have to create the functions on each site.

Can I run this from xp_cmdshell?
rahul.me.sharma
rahul.me.sharma
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

You can pass the remote system name to the function as a parameter and you should get results for that server. Like :

Get-FreeSpace -HostName Servername

the only thing you need to take care of is that the remote system is connect to your machine through the network.

You can also use xp_cmdshell to run this. My advise would be to save the function script as a file and then use xp_cmdshell to call that file.

exec xp_cmdshell 'powershell.exe -c "c:\temp\Get_freespace.ps1"'
sake.god
sake.god
SSC Rookie

Stay tuned for other articles, we'll go over how you can manage these and run them remotely or deploy them to different sites.

And you won't use xp_cmdshell to either manage or use these. Or at least shouldn't.
robert.sterbal 56890
robert.sterbal 56890
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Generally I'd have to create the file by echoing the contents....

My current script to get hard drive space is fine, except for the lack of delimiters in the numbers:

master..xp_cmdshell 'WMIC LogicalDisk Where DriveType="3" Get DeviceID,FileSystem,FreeSpace,Size'

here is the plain text:

master..xp_cmdshell 'WMIC LogicalDisk Where DriveType="3" Get DeviceID,FileSystem,FreeSpace,Size'
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.