Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Database Cloning?

Database Cloning?

Author
PompeyTID
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi fellow DBA's,

While I've been a DBA for a few years now, I'm rather green when it comes to SQL Server so please forgive the basic nature of this query.

Some developer types would like a database to be cloned, ie copied with all the objects, users, permissions, etc just without the data, so that only the bare bones/schema exists in the new one. Just wondering the best way of doing this?
I figured using DTS as it's worked good for the noddy N'wind DB, but is this the best way?

Thanks in advance,
Jules
David.Poole
David.Poole
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

I have two database servers where the logins have been transferred so they both have the same sid values.

This means that I can simply do an automated BACKUP and RESTORE and know that the database will work on both machines.

In your case, you simply need to add a script to TRUNCATE all tables after performing your RESTORE.

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Japie Botma
Japie Botma
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)

I think DTS (Import objects) will be the best. Save the package because they might want to do it in the future again.

5ilverFox
Consulting DBA
South Africa
athurgar
athurgar
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (203 reputation)SSC Veteran (203 reputation)SSC Veteran (203 reputation)SSC Veteran (203 reputation)SSC Veteran (203 reputation)SSC Veteran (203 reputation)SSC Veteran (203 reputation)SSC Veteran (203 reputation)

You could always just script out all of the databse objects, logins, tiggers DRI etc from the primary DB. Modify the script if the location or DB name needs to be changed. Save the script and you have a reproducable (and documentable - is that a real word :blush soultion.

Peter Wright
Peter Wright
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (274 reputation)SSC Veteran (274 reputation)SSC Veteran (274 reputation)SSC Veteran (274 reputation)SSC Veteran (274 reputation)SSC Veteran (274 reputation)SSC Veteran (274 reputation)SSC Veteran (274 reputation)

I would generate a script on the database to be cloned, create a new db and execute the script on that DB.

In SQL EM, right click on the db to be cloned and select the 'Generate a script' option. Click the Show All button on the General tab then tick 'Script All Objects'. Go to the Options tab and tick all Security Scripting and Table Scripting Options.

Don't save the script, the cloned database will probably change and it's easy to generate another script.

Shie Morozow
Shie Morozow
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)

If SQL server logins need to be exported to a new server, as in arthurgar situation, all SQL user, including users of other database will be scripted. You may not want all users in on the 2nd server, In addition, I found that the script will change users' default server to Master database, which is a problem when relying on users to connect to their default database.

barsuk
barsuk
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

AFAIK there are 2 stored proc (by MS) which do that for you. So you would have the exact clone of your database without data. Unfortunately, I used it last time long time ago, so cannot locate them at the moment.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.