SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Stairway to PowerPivot and DAX - Level 7: Function / Iterator Function Pairs: The DAX AVERAGE() and...

Stairway to PowerPivot and DAX - Level 7: Function / Iterator Function Pairs: The DAX AVERAGE() and AVERAGEX() Functions

Author
Bill_Pearson
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to PowerPivot and DAX - Level 7: Function / Iterator Function Pairs: The DAX AVERAGE() and AVERAGEX() Functions
Francis Apel
Francis Apel
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (744 reputation)Right there with Babe (744 reputation)Right there with Babe (744 reputation)Right there with Babe (744 reputation)Right there with Babe (744 reputation)Right there with Babe (744 reputation)Right there with Babe (744 reputation)Right there with Babe (744 reputation)

Thanks Bill! And keep them coming! Well done.

Francis
-----------------
SQLRanger.com
Neil Burton
Neil Burton
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

Hi Bill,
thanks for the Series. I've struggling with an odd problem with comparing the results in Excel. When I copy the filtered results across and apply the Auto-Average Function I get a higher value then I do using PowerPivot. I added the values and the sum is also higher in Excel than PowerPivot. I then created a simple pivot table on the Re-seller sales amount filtered by the Order Date Key and that returned the same value as PowerPivot. Could you shed any light on why this might be?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
SQL Guy 1
SQL Guy  1
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Thanks Bill for very interesting and very detailed lessons.

But functions like DISTINCT, BLANK, SUM are relatively easy and trivial. Everyone who have ever worked with Excel or SQL will quickly figure out how to use them, even it's not so difficult to figure out the differences between SUM and SUMX.

But the really difficult functions that I expect to learn them here in Stairways are ALL, ROLLUP, CALCULATE, CALCULATETABLE, ADDCOLUMNS, ALLEXCEPT, FILTER, and especially combinations of them, the proper order of nesting, and how to use them and convert from EVALUATE context in SSMS to calculated dimensions and measures in model design.

Thanks
Bill_Pearson
Bill_Pearson
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Thanks for your input.

I've had lots of e-mails / other correspondence indicating that many want to "start out slowly." For that matter, I jumped ahead to more advanced scenarios (in the opinion of some readers) on a couple of articles in the MDX Stairway (as well as other places), as I like to write about the more sophisticated stuff sometimes (stuff I do in everyday consulting) - and got complaints for not being "progressive: starting with simple," in a few cases ... I have all the functions you mention, and many more sophisticated uses of DAX, on the roadmap for this series, which will be around for some time, by the look of it.

Please feel free to explore the myriad blogs on the specific topics you seek in the meantime!

Thanks for reading.

Bill

William E. Pearson III
CPA, CITP, CGMA, CMA, CIA, MCSE, MCDBA
Business Intelligence Architect
MS SQL Server MVP and SSAS Maestro
D & B MVP

Island Technologies Inc. ®
931 Monroe Drive, NE
Suite 102-321
Atlanta, GA 30308

404.317.8469 Mobile

Profile: Bill Pearson
wep3@islandtechnologies.com
wep3@msas-architect.com

----- ----------- ----------- --------------- ------------
Publisher Sites:
Microsoft SQL Server MVP Profile
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/72404/
www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1459531
http://www.msbicentral.com/Articles.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/authors/auth11190.aspx
http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles_main.aspx?authid=wpearson
http://www.informit.com/authors/bio.aspx?a=862acd62-4662-49ae-879d-541c8b4d656f
J Livingston SQL
J Livingston SQL
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)

Appreciate this stairway is 3 years old....being somewhat naive on this subject, is the information still relevant today with MS Power BI (2017)?

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.