Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Reindex Procedure with a Twist (or two) the SQL

Reindex Procedure with a Twist (or two) the SQL

Author
Keith Hays
Valued Member
Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Reindex Procedure with a Twist (or two) the SQL
Iwas Bornready
Iwas Bornready
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)

Looks to be a very interesting script, thanks.
Your Name Here
Your Name Here
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)

I'd used a private "DBA" database for years until my latest position which involves a large farm of database servers dedicated to a prominent third party ERP software product. Man, I had used that database for maintenance procedures, backup jobs, growth tracking, the works. When I suggested creating one on each of the servers for this purpose I suddenly had a very quiet room and the undivided attention of an angry mob. To paraphrase and summarize the answer: "No."

Actually, the long and complete answer: "No." <LOL>

Nice solution, though; good work!
PHYData DBA
PHYData DBA
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)

I'm sorry but this looks like a (maybe not so current) re-write of something available at https://ola.hallengren.com/ for a very long time.
I think the original article you reference has comments from her and Steve in it. ;-)
Keith Hays
Keith Hays
Valued Member
Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)

PHYData DBA (9/16/2015)
I'm sorry but this looks like a (maybe not so current) re-write of something available at https://ola.hallengren.com/ for a very long time.
I think the original article you reference has comments from her and Steve in it. ;-)

Having had some conversations with Ola about getting some these features put into his scripts, I don't think it is, but whomever helped put out the original code, I have been very grateful for a number years.
Keith Hays
Keith Hays
Valued Member

I don't seem to be able to reply to more than one of you. The last reply shows up and the previous one goes away. I will wait a little while and see if that fixes itself. In the mean time, I will just post un-quoted replies and see if that works.
Keith Hays
Keith Hays
Valued Member

Your Name Here (9/15/2015)
I'd used a private "DBA" database for years until my latest position which involves a large farm of database servers dedicated to a prominent third party ERP software product. Man, I had used that database for maintenance procedures, backup jobs, growth tracking, the works. When I suggested creating one on each of the servers for this purpose I suddenly had a very quiet room and the undivided attention of an angry mob. To paraphrase and summarize the answer: "No."

Actually, the long and complete answer: "No." <LOL>

Nice solution, though; good work!

Thank you. This is about my third attempt to reply, we shall see what happens.
Should you ever end up in an environment or situation where there are are no mobs, I would be happy to hear the results. I have used this in environments up to about 2000 servers without much overhead. It is largely set it and forget it. Even on servers with a couple hundred descent sized databases (by number of objects), the DBA database remains pretty small. And like you said it can also be used to handle other DBA related tasks.
Keith Hays
Keith Hays
Valued Member

Replies seem to be working now. I started hold my head to the left and that seems to have fixed it. :-D
Your Name Here
Your Name Here
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (190 reputation)

LOL

I've had "those days" as well & can relate. I typically blame a lack of enough coffee, conveniently omitting the definition of "enough"...

When I get the opportunity I'll certainly give it a whirl. I can appreciate the time and effort it takes to code it, test and debug, then code it again right <grin> and finally get it to a point where you're comfortable posting it to the community. Having someone like Ola in the discussion is awesome as well. We all benefit from recognized experts having input in stuff like this. Hopefully it will become a part of future tool sets.

Best of luck and I hope to see more code posted by you in the future.

Rock on, man.
PHYData DBA
PHYData DBA
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)SSChasing Mays (621 reputation)

Keith Hays (9/17/2015)
PHYData DBA (9/16/2015)

Having had some conversations with Ola about getting some these features put into his scripts, I don't think it is, but whomever helped put out the original code, I have been very grateful for a number years.

What are some of the things that you have in yours that are left out of Ola's? I like what you are saying, but would like to know what it means.
Since I also have been using a hybrid of these same things for over 15 years now you have my interest.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.