Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Help a complete noob with a project

Help a complete noob with a project

Author
RobertC1
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello everyone,

i have a project for a datawarehousing class and could really use some help in this.

Heres what i am supposed to do?
I am asking each student to build a data warehouse and to do a presentation of your project to the class on the last day of class. You may work alone on this project or you may work as a group. Here is what needs to be done.

A. Select an application. It can be real or simulated.

B. Develop a data warehouse scheme.

C. Load the warehouse.

D. Mine the warehouse.

Does someone know of a good idea or dataset that would be easy for a project?

EDIT: I found some data from NCES about Public University Libraries.

I am trying to define measures for building the warehouse? I like this data but i am trying to figure out how to use this with other libraries. Any ideas on the measures. I know its supposed to be quanitfiable and numberical generally.

I am also trying to determine what elements to use a predictable in analysis.
If someone could look at it and give me some advice i would appreciate it.
Attachments
ULSTAT2000-2012.xlsx (9 views, 14.00 KB)
RobertC1
RobertC1
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)

Does anyone at least know of a application that would have datasets somewhere?
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

I would just Binoogle "sql server data warehouse example". You will find some examples of simple projects designed to help people learn how to build these. It is probably a good starting point to find a topic and get you moving. You should design your own though and not copy what you find.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
pietlinden
pietlinden
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

If you can get your hands on a copy, read a little of Ralph Kimball's Data Warehouse Toolkit
RobertC1
RobertC1
SSC Rookie

That's the problem. When I fanoogle Sql server data dataset example i really don't many results.
pietlinden
pietlinden
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Do you understand the difference between an OLTP database structure and a DW database structure? Which part are you having trouble with? The star schema?
Steve-3_5_7_9
Steve-3_5_7_9
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

How about using the "work as a group" option, so your team can figure it out together? Part of becoming a DBA is being able to work with a team and feed off of each other's strengths.

Steve

RobertC1
RobertC1
SSC Rookie

I wish i could work as a group but that is already out of the question.

Right now i am looking for ideas for a project. Ideas that may even already have been compiled in a database.

Example:

One student did his project early

He compared baseball statistics of Babe Ruth and tried to show if Babe Ruth was the best based out of statistics.

He used : How long their career was, batting average, etc...

He took had a database with all this information and drew a conclusion of who he thought was the best candidate.

My problem is finding an idea where i can get the data. Heck, just coming up with the idea is hard.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)

This might stimulate some ideas:
https://www.google.com/?q=publicly+available+data

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

RobertC1
RobertC1
SSC Rookie

Thank you! exactly what i was needing.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.