SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Raspberry PI as test box

Raspberry PI as test box

Author
bugmesh
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (143 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Woke up and sprained my brain this morning. That's the only reason I can think of as to why this popped into my head.

Has anyone used a Raspberry for a test environment for SQL Server? What issues would nee to be addressed?
Eirikur Eiriksson
Eirikur Eiriksson
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (127K reputation)SSC Guru (127K reputation)SSC Guru (127K reputation)SSC Guru (127K reputation)SSC Guru (127K reputation)SSC Guru (127K reputation)SSC Guru (127K reputation)SSC Guru (127K reputation)

bugmesh (4/3/2014)
Woke up and sprained my brain this morning. That's the only reason I can think of as to why this popped into my head.

Has anyone used a Raspberry for a test environment for SQL Server? What issues would nee to be addressed?

Unfortunately it will not work, no Windows version for ARM that supports SQL Server to my knowledge
Cool
john.next
john.next
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

The Raspberry Pi 2 will support Windows 10, so perhaps it could be done in the future.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)

Group: Administrators
There are ODBC drivers for Linux. Not sure they work on the Rasberry Pi (should test), but the new v13 in preview is supposed to support more OSes.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)

Assuming you could load GB of disk storage, GB of RAM, Windows, and SQL Server, a Raspberry PI would be severely under powered for even single user testing purposes. If what you want is an isolated sandbox, then consider running a VM like VirtualBox or VMware on your work / home PC.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)SSC Guru (460K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Eric M Russell (2/23/2016)
Assuming you could load GB of disk storage, GB of RAM, Windows, and SQL Server, a Raspberry PI would be severely under powered for even single user testing purposes. If what you want is an isolated sandbox, then consider running a VM like VirtualBox or VMware on your work / home PC.

This is if you need the Raspberry to be the host.

As a test box, it could be a client, with queries or simulating load. In that case, it would be an interesting use, with multiple Raspberry PIs.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/23/2016)
Eric M Russell (2/23/2016)

This is if you need the Raspberry to be the host.

As a test box, it could be a client, with queries or simulating load. In that case, it would be an interesting use, with multiple Raspberry PIs.

If we're talking about using Raspberry PI as a client, then there are a handful of options for Linux or Andoroid.

Microsoft ODBC Driver for SQL Server on Linux
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh568451(v=sql.110).aspx

".. FreeTDS is a set of libraries for Unix and Linux that allows your programs to natively talk to Microsoft SQL Server and Sybase databases .."
http://www.freetds.org/

".. jTDS is an open source 100% pure Java (type 4) JDBC 3.0 driver for Microsoft SQL Server .."
http://jtds.sourceforge.net/

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
J. McAllister
J. McAllister
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

/sorry (removed posting)

4 life
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.