Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Index Breakdown

Index Breakdown

Author
Sean Smith (SSC)
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Index Breakdown
vandana.1103
vandana.1103
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

Undoubtedly an excellent post!
However, if one wants to learn about indexes from the scratch, what would you suggest?
robert.bingham
robert.bingham
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

@vandana - there is an excellent "staircase" series by Dave Durant at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/72399/. Also, anything by Gila Monster (Gail Shaw) is well worth reading.
Greg Drake
Greg Drake
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (516 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (516 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (516 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (516 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (516 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (516 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (516 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (516 reputation)

I like the organization you put into this.
Sean Smith (SSC)
Sean Smith (SSC)
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)

Thank you all very much! And I have to agree, anything by Gail Shaw is always superb. Also, BOL is a great resource, and personally I just create different scenarios on test tables and see what happens (representation in the DMVs, how the optimizer utilizes the indexes, etc.). Again, I really don't consider myself an indexing expert, but there are many great whitepapers online which you can start with. Smile
ScottPletcher
ScottPletcher
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

Excellent! The other thing you need to include in your analysis is the "missing index" info from SQL (DMVs sys.dm_db_missing_index*).

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP('07, '08, '09)

Prosecutor James Blackburn, in closing argument in the "Fatal Vision" murders trial: "If in the future, you should cry a tear, cry one for them [the murder victims]. If in the future, you should say a prayer, say one for them. And if in the future, you should light a candle, light one for them."
hfreeman
hfreeman
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

The code faulters with this error
Lookup Error - SQL Server Database Error: Divide by zero error encountered on line 154
the start of the select query

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Main Query: Final Display / Output
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SELECT
(CASE
WHEN sqBAQ.row_filter = 1 THEN sqBAQ.[type]
ELSE ''
END) AS object_type

Hank Freeman
Senior SQL Server DBA / Data & Solutions Architect
hfreeman@msn.com
678-414-0090 (Personal Cell)
Sean Smith (SSC)
Sean Smith (SSC)
Mr or Mrs. 500

ScottPletcher (4/11/2014)
Excellent! The other thing you need to include in your analysis is the "missing index" info from SQL (DMVs sys.dm_db_missing_index*).

I agree, but I found it a bit "heavy" to run / slowed down the query. But I do have this available in my SQL Server System Report on this site if needed. Smile
Sean Smith (SSC)
Sean Smith (SSC)
Mr or Mrs. 500

hfreeman (4/11/2014)
The code faulters with this error
Lookup Error - SQL Server Database Error: Divide by zero error encountered on line 154
the start of the select query

-- Main Query: Final Display / Output

SELECT
(CASE
WHEN sqBAQ.row_filter = 1 THEN sqBAQ.[type]
ELSE ''
END) AS object_type

Are you able to provide more details? The field you listed (as is) shouldn't give that type of error as it is only a CASE Expression.
pdanes
pdanes
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (542 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (542 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (542 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (542 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (542 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (542 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (542 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (542 reputation)

Excellent script - many thanks. Already found and fixed some indexing screw-ups in my databases, just on the first run-through. This is something I will be studying in detail, and using regularly in the future. If you ever get to Prague, I have a cold one waiting for you.

Pete
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.