SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Logins, Users, and Roles - Getting Started

Logins, Users, and Roles - Getting Started

Author
Andy Warren
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/loginsusersandrolesgettingstarted.asp>http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/loginsusersandrolesgettingstarted.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
mshapiro
mshapiro
Valued Member
Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Great article, Andy. It's precise and step-by-step. The diagrams help as well. Thanks.

jamyer
jamyer
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)

Good overview!

Now about that "free" product Microsoft calls "Enterprise" Manager or EM. It stinks. Especially as your users on a server increase and the number of servers you manage grow.

EM has a lot of short comings. I would prefer to call it Workgroup Manager or something not so lofty as "Enterprise" Manager. Just buying a third party product to replace EM is one solution, but if you work in a large shop you still end up having to support EM, the "free" tool.

Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Mshapiro - thanks for the comment and very glad you found it helpful. I'll probably tackle a different part of DMO next month, fun to explore.

I'll admit EM is a bit heavy at times. I use it, haven't seen the need so far to look at a replacement...and might have to build my own anyway! ISQLW is a good complement to it in SQL2K, object browser seems fast compared to EM.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
mbabb
mbabb
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

I am an old man who is struggling to grasp the rudiments of SQL Server.
Thank you for the lucid article. I printed it and intend to follow it step by step.
Also, thank you for considering the needs of beginners. I use BOL regularly, but your article was vastly superior to BOL.
Not everyone grew up with a keyboard.

Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCoach

Couldnt ask for a nicer comment!

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Bruce-12445
Bruce-12445
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)

Thank you very much, very helpful.

Bruce

dengyuan
dengyuan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

brillant article -- both the content covered and the way of presenting!

Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCoach

Thanks! Hope you'll continue to visit and participate.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
eletuw
eletuw
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (234 reputation)SSC Veteran (234 reputation)SSC Veteran (234 reputation)SSC Veteran (234 reputation)SSC Veteran (234 reputation)SSC Veteran (234 reputation)SSC Veteran (234 reputation)SSC Veteran (234 reputation)

Good job. Just what I was looking for to automate login using VB and DMO.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.