Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

ftp task - PGP public key

ftp task - PGP public key

Author
arkiboys
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,
I am in the process of using a FTP task in my ssis package.
This is to retrieve files from a source such as xxx.com

The source company is saying in order for them to allow this (i.e. files to be retrieved over the internet using FTP), The files need to be PGP encrypted and so they are asking me for the PGP public key.

Question:
1- Does the ftp task in ssis have to do anything with this PGP public key?
2- I have checked the properties of the ftp task and there is no setting for PGP. Is there a setting for this in ftp task?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)

1- Does the ftp task in ssis have to do anything with this PGP public key?

This has nothing to do with SSIS or FTP. PGP is an encryption technology commonly used to encrypt files exchanged between two companies, especially when using public, open networks (e.g. regular FTP over the internet) to exchange those files. You should start by reading a little about PGP (Pretty Good Privacy).

2- I have checked the properties of the ftp task and there is no setting for PGP. Is there a setting for this in ftp task?

In order to handle the request you will need a program in your environment capable of generating keys as well as encrypting and decrypting files using the PGP algorithm. GnuPG is a good and free option.

Once you have generated a public/private key pair you will send your partner the public key. They can then encrypt files using that key, post them on FTP, and then when you download them you can decrypt them using the private key that is related to the public key you gave them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
arkiboys
arkiboys
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)

Thanks
BrandonChampion
BrandonChampion
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

A not free option that I started using last year is Robo-FTP. You can run it as a service and schedule it. It has PGP baked in.

I use it to poll an FTP server every 10 minutes, download all PGP files found, decrypt them, then delete them from the remote server. The program and scripting language feel old school, but it all works.

Feel free to call and ask questions before you decide.

Good luck with your project.
CozyRoc
CozyRoc
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

If you can use third-party solutions, check the commercial COZYROC OpenPGP Task. It is completely integrated in SSIS and very easy to use.

---
SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.