SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Restoring database from production to Dev

Restoring database from production to Dev

Author
Tripz
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
We have Sql Server 2005 database server in both production and development environment.

I have the requirement to restore a database from production to Dev.

I my production database has one mdf and one ldf files

But my dev environment has 1mdf and two ldf files.

I am not sure how to restore in this one ldf backup to two ldf instance.

How can achieve this ?? Any suggestions/ideas/approach??
tim.nyland-jones
tim.nyland-jones
Valued Member
Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)

Are you sure the production environment is using two ldf files? If so, are they both definitely log files, or is one another data file?
Tripz
Tripz
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)

My production environment is using only ONE ldf
and Dev has TWO ldf's
and I need to restore from Production to Dev db
tim.nyland-jones
tim.nyland-jones
Valued Member
Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)

Ah, sorry. Still, same question - are they both definitely log files or is one an additional data file that just happens to have the extension .ldf? And are they both definitely attached to the database?
tim.nyland-jones
tim.nyland-jones
Valued Member

If your dev environment genuinely does have multiple log files, this is nothing to worry about from a backup point of view. The restore will only let you create a single log file, but you can create the other again afterwards if you need it.
Tripz
Tripz
SSC-Enthusiastic

Hi,
Both seems to be logs files
but one of them on dev is named as tlog_archive,
I am not sure what it is doing.

I tried restoring the db from production to dev and attached to the log file named as log.ldf

but the dev website did not load

what should be my next steps in the scenario
tim.nyland-jones
tim.nyland-jones
Valued Member

It's possible a second log file was added because the drive that the original was on ran out of space. My suggestion to minimise your heartache over this would be to detach the old dev database, delete the relevant .mdf and .ldf files, and restore the backup, putting the .mdf and .ldf files where you want to. Now you have a clean restore of the production backup.
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

have you tried to restore? please share the restore command you used and what was the error?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Tripz
Tripz
SSC-Enthusiastic

I tried restoring directly by right clicking on the database and selecting the .bak file and choosing the mdf and ldf path's
I was able to choose the mdf and only one ldf to restore
It restored but the site did not comeup and failing to load
Tripz
Tripz
SSC-Enthusiastic

To avoid all the confusions and complications
I created a fresh db on dev and restored the backup to this freshly created db.

and now things seems to be clean and now the dev website is pointing to new dev db and seems to be fine now.

But - I am still not sure how to delete the extra ldf files in the backup file restore to db which has only one mdf and one ldf
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.