SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

LDF is IDF instead

LDF is IDF instead

Author
Vertigo44
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
The production database has 1 MDF and 1 log file.

The log file extension is idf instead of LDF. Would this cause issues?
durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

i havent heard of it, is the database accessible for you?

can you check the extension again?

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)

You could call the transaction log file readme.txt if you wanted. SQL doesn't care what the name or extension of the file is in any way.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Vertigo44
Vertigo44
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)

Interesting. I did not realize that. I am still going to relocate if off the data drive tonight and move it over to a dedicated log drive.

Thanks again Gail!
Leo.Miller
Leo.Miller
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Using MDF, NDF & LDF is really historical and convention more than anything else, it does however allow the files to be easily identified as database files. When you move the log file to the log drive you can rename the physical file, including the file extension(s) as shown below.
ALTER DATABASE MyDatabase 
SET OFFLINE;
GO

-- for mdf
MODIFY FILE (NAME='MyDatabase', FILENAME='H:\Data\MSSQL.3\MSSQL\Data\MyDatabase.mdf');
GO

-- for ldf
MODIFY FILE (NAME='MyDatabase_Log', FILENAME='H:\Data\MSSQL.3\MSSQL\Data\MyDatabase_log.ldf');
GO

-- Move and rename the physical files before the next step as appropriate

SET ONLINE;
GO

Cheers

Leo
Mike Hinds
Mike Hinds
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

I can't help myself - I have to ask:

Maybe it could be a lower-case "L" ("l") instead of an Upper-case "I" ?

Mike Hinds
Senior Database Administrator
1st Source Bank
MCP, MCTS
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

Vertigo44 (2/26/2013)
The production database has 1 MDF and 1 log file.

The log file extension is idf instead of LDF. Would this cause issues?

You just need to change the name in the SQL Server system catalogs and rename the OS file. Leo has detailed fully for you, you only need to complete the file rename and alter if you just want to rename the file. See my article at this link for more info.

GilaMonster (2/26/2013)
You could call the transaction log file readme.txt if you wanted

I bet someone, somewhere in the world has too :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)SSC Guru (119K reputation)

Perry Whittle (2/27/2013)
GilaMonster (2/26/2013)
You could call the transaction log file readme.txt if you wanted

I bet someone, somewhere in the world has too :-)

For the sake of playing around, I once created a DB where both the data and log files were alternate streams of a text file. Was silly, but it worked. CheckDB wouldn't run on it though.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Tony++
Tony++
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

As noted previously, SQL itself doesn't care.
What does sometimes care is antivirus (not to start a thread on good idea or not, just that some shops do run AV and should be aware of this).
They can ignore certain file types by extension (either out or the box or by configuration), and it wouldn't know that IDF is a special file to ignore. That file gets scanned and activity to that file gets scanned. It's a non-obvious performance hit.

I can't comment on all AV packages, but I've had some in the past that would have created a problem with IDF.
Vertigo44
Vertigo44
SSC-Addicted

Tony++ (3/27/2013)
As noted previously, SQL itself doesn't care.
What does sometimes care is antivirus (not to start a thread on good idea or not, just that some shops do run AV and should be aware of this).
They can ignore certain file types by extension (either out or the box or by configuration), and it wouldn't know that IDF is a special file to ignore. That file gets scanned and activity to that file gets scanned. It's a non-obvious performance hit.

I can't comment on all AV packages, but I've had some in the past that would have created a problem with IDF.

This is a good point. That file extension wouldnt be on the exclusions list.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.