Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

data folder permission

data folder permission

Author
chewychewy
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

By default installation, SQLServer2005MSSQLuser$<INSTANCENAME>$MSSQLSERVER is having the below access to SQL Server Data folder.

Full Control
Modify
Read and Execute
List Folder Contents
Read
Write

Auditor highlight that this is a security concern and want us to revoke full control, modify, read and execute and write permission for SQLServer2005MSSQLuser$<INSTANCENAME>$MSSQLSERVER from the data folder.

Any idea what is the security risk from security standpoint?

Anyone here revoke it before? Any impact on doing it? thanks
durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

this $ users are available in one of my server as well but i havent removed it yet.

as per me no body can access using that logins so how security issue?

experts clarify if i am wrong.

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
chewychewy
chewychewy
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)

Hi,

Any experts can advise?

thanks!
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

durai nagarajan (10/12/2012)
i second here , the above mentioend accesses are given by sql installation , and why any unauthorozed person will go there ,he.she should not have access to that drive too.

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
chewychewy
chewychewy
SSC-Enthusiastic

Bhuvnesh (10/15/2012)
durai nagarajan (10/12/2012)
i second here , the above mentioend accesses are given by sql installation , and why any unauthorozed person will go there ,he.she should not have access to that drive too.

Hi All,

I think from security point of view, the auditor doesn't want powerful privileges granted if it's not needed for SQL Server to function.

So actually wish to know what is this group and is it needed for sql server to function.

thanks
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

chewychewy (10/15/2012)
So actually wish to know what is this group and is it needed for sql server to function.thanks
See it this can helps you http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143547(v=sql.100).aspx

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

chewychewy (10/12/2012)
Hi,

By default installation, SQLServer2005MSSQLuser$<INSTANCENAME>$MSSQLSERVER is having the below access to SQL Server Data folder.

Full Control
Modify
Read and Execute
List Folder Contents
Read
Write

Auditor highlight that this is a security concern and want us to revoke full control, modify, read and execute and write permission for SQLServer2005MSSQLuser$<INSTANCENAME>$MSSQLSERVER from the data folder.

Any idea what is the security risk from security standpoint?

Anyone here revoke it before? Any impact on doing it? thanks

This is a default local group created by the SQL Server installer, if you look in local user and group management you'll see a whole bunch of local groups created. Do not revoke permissions for this group!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
chewychewy
chewychewy
SSC-Enthusiastic

thanks all
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.