SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

can I measure how much memory is allocated to the buffer in SS2K8 on VMWare accurately

can I measure how much memory is allocated to the buffer in SS2K8 on VMWare accurately

Author
maroon-78
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a 8GB SS2K8 database on a smallish VMware server with 5 other VMs running on the host. The SS2K8 server is supposed to have 4GB of memory. Task Manager and Activity monitor indicate that there is 4GB, but I suspect that the host is stealing memory for another VM because a few times a day the database slows way down. I don't see high IO or CPU on the database when this happens. Are there DMV's that would allow me to view what the database is really getting ( or losing!) during these slow downs?
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)

Measure total server memory used by SQL Server:

SELECT cntr_value / 1024.0 AS TotalServerMemoryMB
FROM sys.dm_os_performance_counters
WHERE counter_name = 'Total Server Memory (KB)';

For physical (if VM host is stealing) and buffer use:

SELECT  CAST(physical_memory_in_bytes / (1024.0 * 1024.0 * 1024.0) AS DECIMAL(20, 2)) AS PhysicalMemoryGB,
CAST((bpool_committed * 8) / (1024.0 * 1024.0) AS DECIMAL(20, 2)) AS BufferPoolCommittedMemoryGB
FROM sys.dm_os_sys_info;

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
SQL Show
SQL Show
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

If you want to measure memory usage of Buffer pool,
Select Count(*) * 8 / (1024.00) 'BufferPoolSize In MB' From sys.dm_os_buffer_descriptors
maroon-78
maroon-78
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)SSC-Addicted (416 reputation)

Thanks!
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)

Consult with your vm admin, if memory ballooning becomes a problem you may have to uninstall the balloon driver from the vmware tools but simply having the admin reserve resources should be sufficient.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
AmarettoSlim
AmarettoSlim
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)

I'd start with asking your VMware Admin to check the memory usage statistics for the physical host of your VM. The reason I'd start here is because its very quick to check on the VMs from a high level where as memory investigation within the VM itself and SQL Server will require more time.

Confirm you're VM isn't having pressure from it's neighbors and then drill down into it.

Here are the esxtop commands. He or she would just have to look at "MEMCTL" (MB) to tell if there is ballooning taking place.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9279
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.