SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Create Database

Create Database

Author
Hardy21
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Create Database

Thanks
Ian_McCann
Ian_McCann
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Am I reading this right?
FOR ATTACH
FOR ATTACH [ WITH < attach_database_option > ]
Specifies that the database is created by attaching an existing set of operating system files. There must be a <filespec> entry that specifies the primary file. The only other <filespec> entries required are those for any files that have a different path from when the database was first created or last attached. A <filespec> entry must be specified for these files.

FOR ATTACH requires the following:

All data files (MDF and NDF) must be available.

If multiple log files exist, they must all be available.

If a read/write database has a single log file that is currently unavailable, and if the database was shut down with no users or open transactions before the attach operation, FOR ATTACH automatically rebuilds the log file and updates the primary file. In contrast, for a read-only database, the log cannot be rebuilt because the primary file cannot be updated. Therefore, when you attach a read-only database with a log that is unavailable, you must provide the log files, or the files in the FOR ATTACH clause.

Given the assumtions in the question, I think both answers are correct.
ipounder
ipounder
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Seems to me that both answers can be correct.

Ian
Toreador
Toreador
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

Got it right, seemed an easy guess :-)
But when I then did a bit of research, it appears that FOR ATTACH will also work if the database had a single log file.
call.copse
call.copse
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)

I did divine the correct answer, however I would agree with 'Just a number' that both options would work.
Jakub.Janda
Jakub.Janda
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)

Ok, I got it wrong after reading the books online specifically on that subject. I agree, with single log file, both answers are correct.
David P Fisher
David P Fisher
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)Right there with Babe (722 reputation)

ipounder (6/21/2012)

Ian

I agree :-)

The impossible can be done at once, miracles may take a little longer :-)
Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)

David P Fisher (6/21/2012)
ipounder (6/21/2012)

Ian

Anybody care to test it? :-)

Thanks for the question.

BTW, love the cat with the mice crawling over it.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
tommyh
tommyh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Thomas Abraham (6/21/2012)
David P Fisher (6/21/2012)
ipounder (6/21/2012)

Ian

Anybody care to test it? :-)

Thanks for the question.

BTW, love the cat with the mice crawling over it.

Works just fine to attach a database with just "for attach" with only one log file.

/T
Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)

tommyh (6/21/2012)
Works just fine to attach a database with just "for attach" with only one log file.

/T

I figured it would. But it's nice to have it confirmed. (Yes, I don't always trust BOL.) Thanks for the effort!

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.