Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Users From Hell

Users From Hell

Author
David.Poole
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/dpoole/usersfromhel

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
James Luetkehoelter
James Luetkehoelter
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)SSC Veteran (237 reputation)

Absolutely great!

I particularly like "the consultant". Now I am one of those, though I'm not very good looking, own a BMW or have better luck with the opposite sex

rockmoose
rockmoose
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)SSC Veteran (285 reputation)

Really nice, made me laugh.

Once had a project involving Crystal Reports. And I told a user that the reports could be exported to excel. But it didn't work the user told me :-(.

Turns out that the user tried to export the reports by renaming the reportfiles from reportX.rpt to reportX.xls .......

cheers

You must unlearn what You have learnt
Tjalling
Tjalling
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)

Great story!

All these people do exist! Highly enjoyable and nice to know the different kinds are labeled.

Tjalling

Joel Paula-126111
Joel Paula-126111
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Very entertaining article!

We can always remember a person that fits one of the labels.

But I think that labeling people is a very dangerous way to follow and is a very narrow way of looking at life.

Alex Davis
Alex Davis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

All I can say is .... PREACH ON BROTHA...

womalley
womalley
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)

I found my self not only laughing but thinking of people that fit each category.

We in the IT field (Programmers, DBAs, Admins) must forgive the mere mortals. They no not what we do.

Will

Aggie D
Aggie D
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)

This is so true!!! Especially the evangelist. What is worse, is I saw the same amount of the evangelist in school as I have in the workplace. If you even tried to do something in visual studio, there were some profs that would want to fail you, because you did not use VI and gnu to write a C program.

Rob Mangus
Rob Mangus
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

These people exist, and always have, regardless of the technology. It was great reading it to be reminded that the people I work with really aren't unique.

I have found these same people also hang around government, or at least municipal government where I have some experience as an elected official. They come to meetings and imply very clearly we are either slow or stupid and tend to talk to us loudly as if we can't hear very well. They then go on to point out just how we should do our jobs (to their benefit of course) as if we hadn't already understood all of that several years ago but for financial reasons simply could not implement.

David.Poole
David.Poole
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

I forgot to put in one particular class of user, and I can't think of a smart ass name for them other than "Git".

The Git insists that some obscure, hard to implement function is an absolutely crucial deliverable to the project. This function extends the project development timeline (without extending actual elapsed time of course) by a minimum of two weeks.

On completion of the project a urine sample reveals that you are passing pure caffeine.

Two years later you are asked to migrate the entire project to a .NET platform and find that, apart from your test data, the facility has never been used

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.